Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, considering how utterly impossible I am finding it to cope with the workload at Cambridge, whether it is naive to imagine that things would be remotely more manageable if I was to transfer to UCL (especially considering the Guardian ranked UCL above Cambridge for my subject [English] in 2013).

ReputationRep:
    Depends entirely on subject. Some will possibly be at the same level although I'd imagine that most won't be u pto the intensive standard of Cambridge [Also keep in mind that Cambridge terms are shorter so the workload will be more anyway regardless of the difficulty of the content.]

ReputationRep:
    for medicine?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone knows for certain unless they've studied at both Cambrideg and UCL for the same degree. However, if you're really unhappy at Cambridge, it might be worth looking into.

ReputationRep:
    >UCL as hard as Cambridge
    >UCL hard

ReputationRep:
    I don't imagine the workload would be hugely different, the standard of degree isn't too much lower at UCL than at Cambridge so you're likely to have to work just as hard for it. If it was Cambridge v Bolton or something like that then obviously yes you could probably get away with doing less, but at the top end the difference I would imagine is marginal.

What would be different, though, is the teaching style - Cambridge's supervision system is purportedly unlike anywhere else (bar Oxford) - most places tend to focus on lectures and the odd group seminar or whatever - there's far more independent learning. If you think that'd suit you better then far be it from me to stop you moving.

ReputationRep:
    From reading this forum I've seen people often comment on the intense workload at Oxbridge and make it sound like it's on another level completely, which I can imagine to be true. I do personally think it won't be as intense at UCL, or at least not to a level where you won't be able to come with it if you transferred (I'm sure!). However, UCL do most likely do have a higher workload than most other universities but it's definitely doable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j_a_z_z)
    Just wondering, considering how utterly impossible I am finding it to cope with the workload at Cambridge, whether it is naive to imagine that things would be remotely more manageable if I was to transfer to UCL (especially considering the Guardian ranked UCL above Cambridge for my subject [English] in 2013).
    I've just finished an English degree at UCL. I've never studied at Cambridge so can't make the comparison really.
    We do a 2000-4000 word essay a fortnight, reading for seminars (normally 4-6 a week) and various presentations and translations. That's first year workload. In the 2nd and 3d years this is the 'basic' workload and on top of that you'll have longer essays and more exams.
    Most find it a manageable but not testing workload. I still managed to work part time alongside my degree and people have busy extra curricular marks but if you want the top grades then you have to read extensively for your essays and exams.
    You say you want to transfer? If you've already started a degree at Cambridge you'd probably have to start from first year again. UCL English doesn't normally accept 2nd year transfers because our first year course is a foundation for the other 2 years.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.