Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Changes in household income watch

    • Thread Starter

    I'm applying to SAAS for starting university this year. My parents are separated and I live primarily with my mum so I believe her salary is my "household income" (is this correct?). Until recently she earned ~£60k, putting me well outside the range for any means-tested grants or bursaries. However, she is currently in the process of trying to leave her job. At the moment she is on leave and her salary has been halved, to around £30k. She is trying to negotiate a package deal with her employer that will likely pay ~£12-15k once she leaves. However, the exact value of this package is unknown, and there is a possibility that she won't be able to get it, in which case she'll have to return to work, putting her salary back up to £60k. We do not know when we'll find out if she can get the package and what it will pay, but it should be finalised before I start my course in October.

    Now, my question is basically how I explain my situation to SAAS. On their website I found a page saying that I would need to supply a P60 for the tax year ending April 2013, but this would show her old salary of £60k. What I think I should do is basically apply and declare her salary as £30k (but how do I show this?), then contact them when we find out what her final salary is to change it (it says on their website that they can change things mid-year for redundancy). My only other question is, if her salary is reduced to 15k in August, does the household income calculation take into account the 4 months at the start of the tax year in which she was getting £30k? Or is it purely based on current income?

    Thanks for any help.

    SAAS work out your award by using your household income from the previous tax year and you will need to show proof of this by sending them P60's or other documents.

    If you were to put down 30k as the income figure you will probably be asked to prove this at some point and it seems you wont have documents that can do so!

    you should declare the correct amount and then when your mums income does change call them and see if they can adjust it using the current income.

    You apply as normal with 2011-12 figures. Then if your mum's circumstances change you ask for a current year assessment. You will then be reassessed and your mum will have to provide evidence at the end of tax year 2012-13. If they have given you too much it will be taken back from next year's loan.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources


Official student finance zone

Quick Link

Unanswered SAAS Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.