Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So i'm underweight even though i eat regularly and wouldn't usually eat the healthiest of foods. It took me 4 months to put on half a stone and last week i was sick for about 3 days so didn't eat much but didn't move off the couch yet have lost the weight it took me 4 months to put on!

People have commented before that i look really ill because i'm so thin and it gets me down as most of my clothes don't fit me anymore.

I never exercise mainly because i'm afraid of losing more weight but I know this could benefit me by building muscle. I wouldn't be that fit so are there any light exercises that could start me off? Any particular foods to eat?

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    I'm like you, I never put on weight or just lose it randomly even though I'm not too active. I used to skip P.E because I didn't want to lose weight.
    The main thing is to eat healthily. Start with wholesome foods such as pasta, rice, eggs, grains, lentils, beans, nuts. Make dishes with lots of calories in them but avoid saturated fats, You need good fats. I personally used to blend nuts with bananas, avocados, soya milk, blueberries and drink a few of these 'shakes' a day as well as main meals. I once used to eat a packet of peanuts a day with my regular meals as this boosted my calories intake by about 400 more. You need to put in more than you burn off. It's a chore to do all this though, and eventually I gave up. I just eat when i'm hungry now and I don't deprive myself of stuff i like, even though i'm 80% healthy in terms of fruits, veg and wholesome foods, i pig out from time to time on cakes, chocolates and crisps.

If you're serious about gaining weight then you need to make meal plans for yourself and count calories etc. It becomes really consuming. In the end I just find clothes that flatter me and if someone else has a problem with me being too thin, well i really could care less because I know that I eat well.

Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Eating alot of carbs should help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You could try using a supplement like Complan to boost your calorie intake. Foods like pasta would be very good too. I struggled for so long with being underweight, nothing ever worked and being sick was the worst because I lost weight instantly. Boom, right around the age of 22-23 I started gaining weight, I've gained almost a stone. Through no major effort. You never know, getting older could be the magical solution.

ReputationRep:
    make sure you eat more calories in a day than you burn in a day, sounds simple and it is, just try increasing how much you eat every time you eat, and slowly up the number of total meals per day. You can do it, just stick to it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    6 small meals a day may help?

ReputationRep:
    Try working out or a sport, don't worry about losing weight as you should build up an appetite and eat more while building up muscle mass. As for diet, have plenty of protein and carbs and don't forget your veggies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    More exercise, and eat a balanced diet.

It depends on your genes too.

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem!! I don't like exercise because when I do try to exercise people think I'm doing it to lose weight.. so instead I do yoga and my muscles look a lot more toned than before, it's great for relaxation too!

It's really frustrating when people tell you that you look ill, isn't it? I just figured that as long as you know that you're not losing weight obsessively, then people and their opinions can frankly go somewhere else.

Regarding food I'm not really the person to ask, my diet is now quite unhealthy because of what people have told me.. aka "eat more you're too skinny'. I eat like a horse but have never gone above 8 stone.. but as someone said it can also be genetics, you may just have a fast metabolism.

So my advice would be to eat healthily and eat what's right for you, take up a low-impact sport like yoga, and get enough sleep.

Hope this helped a little bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott.)
    More exercise, and eat a balanced diet.

It depends on your genes too.
    What?

Exercise will lose calories and increase the metabolism rate.

OP - more carbs.

ReputationRep:
    If you're wanting to put on muscle (unsure if you are) but not really wanting to lose weight, keep the calories high (use a calculator to find out your values so you dont go overboard) keep the carbs and protein high and eat pleanty of fibre,

Based on your goal I would keep cardio low but still do it, a brisk walk or a light job before gym/bodyweight work (depending on what you want/what you can afford) after doing this anything from 10-30 minutes, you should be sufficiently warmed up and have done enough cardio that should be a good average for anyone just to keep healthy.

Anyway doing some weight or bodyweight work, keeping active, eating alot more and eating well, drinking water and getting pleanty of sleep (will get you healthier and better shape)

Depending on the food intake and excersise type you could gain muscle,

If its not muscle you're after just eat 6 smaller meals like others suggested (you'd probably do this if building muscle anyway) and eat carb heavy meals

Easiest way I find to accept eating 6 meals (alot of people find it hard/overwhelming) imagine your back at school and you have the following routine

wake up(morning) = breakfast
    10-11am break time = 1st snack (small meal)
    Lunch time = Lunch
    3pm ish (out of school) = 2nd snack (probably had somin in bag or at home)
    6-8pm Dinner time = Dinner
    9-11pm (eat somthing small before bed) = Supper

I could of wrote this better but the idea is simple, spread the smaller meals out, so you dont feel hungry and snack on the bad things, this will help you digest and take in food over a longer period which I believe aids your motabalism (which ok you mightn't want) but it'l enable you to take in the right things throughout the day and hopefuly gain healthy weight or infact muscle as apposed fat lol

I'm still a bit of a novice in understanding all this myself so dont take it as gospel, but I am 6 ft 3 and used to weigh 10 stone so yeah lol skinny but now im 14 stone and very little of that is fat, so iv'e been doing somthing right lol

Hope this helps,

All the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    What?

Exercise will lose calories and increase the metabolism rate.

OP - more carbs.
    Exercise is healthy. And it promotes bone and muscle growth. Obviously she needs to up her calorie intake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott.)
    Exercise is healthy. And it promotes bone and muscle growth. Obviously she needs to up her calorie intake.
    Doing cardio when trying to gain weight is counterproductive.

If she did weights however, she could lose fat and gain muscle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Doing cardio when trying to gain weight is counterproductive.

If she did weights however, she could lose fat and gain muscle.
    I didn't specifically say cardio. Besides she should do a mixture. Rowing machines are where it's at.

ReputationRep:
    Many things can affect your weight. Eating a healthy diet of wholefoods + essential vitamins/minerals + high protein and fibre are equally as important as putting in the exercise to gain weight. On top of this it is good to have a strict daily routine so that you can have a regular sleep pattern and have the correct amount of protein for recovery at the right times. Our bodies build our muscles during sleep a lot more than our muscles will recover during the time we are awake and this will increase your mass.

You have to be serious about weight gain though. It will be a part of your life, not just a few months of healthy eating and exercise. http://www.muscleandstrength.com/too...alculator.html
    This website can help you calculate your BMR so you can make sure you are hitting a higher amount of calories than your body burns from an average day. Try to get at least 10% more calories with daily exercise.

Sources: Gained 14 KG over last summer then proceeded to lose it by not exercising and giving up on the diet. Its not easy but after a while it just becomes a habit. Hoping to get back into it and make it stick.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Are you drinking full fat milk?

ReputationRep:
    To gain weight eat nutritional food and eat rice in lunch and dinner it help to gain weight.

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you to make a habbit of eating food in little quantity for very 2 hrs.And also make a habbit of taking a light nap after a afternoon meal for about 30 mins to 1 hr.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 21, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.