Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls: Where would you draw the line for confident guys? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've just been wondering recently what girls make of confident guys during normal conversation, sure it's handy for a guy having the confidence to say more or less anything to a girl but when would you consider it to be going too far, what would you find unacceptable for him to say?

I would say it's more applicable to me when I've had a few drinks, I don't really tend to hold back and more or less say what I see. More often than not it seems to work wonders, girls seem to appreciate a risky comment here and there but I can't say I really push the boat out that much on a day to day basis. I tend to assume that it's just not appropriate therefore I stay quite reserved.

I obviously understand what not to say on a date over dinner or something but I'm just curious what you girls make of confident guys and their slightly abstract approach to women.

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    honestly I like it when a guy is able to talk to you without holding back with confidence because you feel like you know them more and are in turn willing to share more. Its also nice that it means you can show initiative and start things in the relationship
    It would only affect you if you started to appear arrogant and cocky which for some (though not all) could intimidate them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I like it too, im relatively confident in talking to people in general. I keep the conversation going, add a pinch of humour in there and its just better when you get that much back in a conversation. Its also nice when they actually take an interest in what your saying and ask questions too and talk about themselves a little bit as well. But.....if they start making slightly rude/sexist comments then I go off them a bit.

But the worst is when THEY DON'T TALK. And you feel like your talking to a brick wall urghh, annoying. I feel like just walking away in those situations...

ReputationRep:
    Most lasses will respond to it fairly, if not very, well. It's all about being able to initially judge the boundries, not come across as a creep, and being effective and quick at retreating without disorder if you need to tone things down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phreaktwo)
    I've just been wondering recently what girls make of confident guys during normal conversation, sure it's handy for a guy having the confidence to say more or less anything to a girl but when would you consider it to be going too far, what would you find unacceptable for him to say?

I would say it's more applicable to me when I've had a few drinks, I don't really tend to hold back and more or less say what I see. More often than not it seems to work wonders, girls seem to appreciate a risky comment here and there but I can't say I really push the boat out that much on a day to day basis. I tend to assume that it's just not appropriate therefore I stay quite reserved.

I obviously understand what not to say on a date over dinner or something but I'm just curious what you girls make of confident guys and their slightly abstract approach to women.

Discuss.
    Go to a bar where you don't know anyone and test it out?

ReputationRep:
    Lol it's different, depending on the girl. Some girls will let you say anything, hell, even want you to be up-front and as controversial as possible, but not all of them are like that.

You need to stop thinking of "girls" as one homogenous entity and that what works for one will work for all.

ReputationRep:
    I think this quote sums it up quite nicely. "Confidence is knowing you're great.Cockiness is shoving it down everyone's throats."

Can't remember where I saw that, though.

ReputationRep:
    Cockiness is not a version of confidence. It's something else. Confidence is genuine self esteem - knowing you're someone worth knowing, naturally giving off that impression and not worrying what every single person thinks about you.
    Cockiness is false confidence. It's a set of mannerisms and traits which some guys have been taught and are meant to exuberate false self esteem. It's what some guys do when they are talking to women they assume is out of their league. Pick up artists teach that, but many men practice it on their own.
    So when a woman is capable of separating cockiness from confidence, she will separate the former from the latter. You can't be "too confident". A very, very confident man is just cool and well behaved and friendly and know when to compliment a woman. If I ever feel like a man's confidence is "too much", he's cocky, not confident. Extreme confidence is not something that is ever "in your face".

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the sad truth is most girls like the insensitive ********s who don't think or care about what comes out of their mouth.

Not all girls though.

And if you want to attract a girl who is smart as well as nice and genuine, rather than stupid but hot, then I would suggest just being yourself. But never be nervous. Confidence is important but that doesn't mean say what you want whenever you want, it means don't be self-conscious and don't hesitate and overthink things. My opinion anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Some interesting points being made here! It's not like i'm in any need to boost my confidence or anything I was just curious about how you ladies feel about confidence in a guy and if it can ever get 'too much'. It would be interesting to see if anyone has any examples of times when a guy has really overstepped the mark in conversation.

So far it would seem that confidence is a clear winner no matter what though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.