Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm just about to finish my first year of university after I sit my exams, but I haven't really enjoyed my time here and was wanting to look into the possibility of taking a gap year. So I have some questions: 1. can anyone take a gap year or are there requirements that have to be met? 2. do your exam results affect your chances of being granted a gap year? 3. does it look bad to future employers if I just worked hard and earned money during my gap year instead of going travelling? Thank you to anyone who answers, it'll be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I think there are no requirements, but its rare to have a gap year that's not after or before uni, but gap years are perfectly acceptable in the middle of uni, but you'd have to seek approval first. (It really just depends on the uni).
    I would think that as long as you pass your first year, you should be fine, as long as you'd be accepted to carry onto second year it shouldn't reflect if you could have a gap year or not, so as long as you pass the 40% mark you should be fine.
    And no, it actually looks much better that you've taken a gap year and gained experience and earning money, you're showing that you're dedicated, personally if i had to employ someone, and there were two people who took a gap year and one basically went travelling(spent their year on holiday, lets face it) or worked hard and had a job, i'd definitely go for second person.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.