Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a Dell Inspiron 1750 and when I click 'Sleep' the screen turns off but the laptop doesn't sleep- it sounds like it's turned on but with the screen off.

Then the only way to get the screen back on is to hold the power button and restart the laptop. Pressing buttons or clicking doesn't bring it back.

Any ideas why?

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried gently rocking it back and forth in your arms whilst singing a lullaby? That should work.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Check out the power management settings in control panel

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...sked-questions

ReputationRep:
    Just bringing this thread back up...

I've changed the power management settings but I have no luck.

My laptop doesn't sleep or hibernate when I click Start -> Sleep (or Start -> Hibernate). It simply turns the screen off and that's it. To recover it I have to hold the power button to turn it off, then manually turn it back on.

It does however sleep if I leave the laptop on for 3 hours (I set it to sleep after 3 hours)- After 3 hours the screen turns off and the laptop goes silent (no fan). I can wake it by pressing the power button and it starts up from where I left it.

So does anyone have any other ideas? I've googled it but not found anything.

ReputationRep:
    when in sleep mode, should the light be breathing white? (as in flashing slowly) try checking power management settings and save your options.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Runninground)

My laptop doesn't sleep or hibernate when I click Start -> Sleep (or Start -> Hibernate). It simply turns the screen off and that's it. To recover it I have to hold the power button to turn it off, then manually turn it back on.

It does however sleep if I leave the laptop on for 3 hours (I set it to sleep after 3 hours)- After 3 hours the screen turns off and the laptop goes silent (no fan). I can wake it by pressing the power button and it starts up from where I left it.

Mine does all of this (not the same model as yours, but still a dell inspiron), I'd just assumed it's normal though? The power light flashes on and off (white), and the fan stays on for a little bit but only until it's cooled down enough, which is surely what it should do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

What happens if you select sleep, and then leave it for say 15 minutes? Does it then go like if it goes to sleep due to power management settings?

ReputationRep:
    I have a Dell Inspiron 1750 and when I click 'Sleep' the screen turns off but the laptop doesn't sleep- it sounds like it's turned on but with the screen off.

Then the only way to get the screen back on is to hold the power button and restart the laptop. Pressing buttons or clicking doesn't bring it back.

Any ideas why?
    Could be possible that the sleep mode program is corrupt, I recall that you could delete that program as it does take up a bit of space.
    I would suggest a reinstall of the OS, in the mode where you can save one users data.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.