Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey just want your opinion on something!

So I met this guy online last june and we became quite close and we started a relationship, its been about 8 months now. I really do like him and I love him. But he lives in another country! I seen him through skype and I talk to him often and I know some of his friends and things like that, his parents actually live in UK and hes planning on coming here soon. My parents are really not happy with this relationship because they think I shouldn't trust him as I have never 'met' him, but I do trust him. What do you guys think? Should I give it all up?

ReputationRep:
    Try arranging a short meet up, somewhere really busy, with loaaaadsa people, so that he can't try anything funny.

Hahahaha yeah I would definitely do that, but hes not here yet.... so what can I do right now?

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well i would say give it some time . try to know him more . i would advise dont go against your parents . just wait for him to come to uk and then sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    As much as I am usually a big supporter of long distance, I wouldn't recommend getting into a long distance relationship with someone you've never met in person. There could be huge compatibility issues, and eventually someone will have to move - I can't begin to imagine someone picking up and moving for someone they've never met, or have only met briefly.

In your situation though, his parents live here and he's planning on coming here anyway... So I wouldn't do the relationship bit until you actually get to know each other in person and have spent a bit of time together.

Yeah thanks guys, I shouldn't really keep my hopes up, but it feels soo right and I know I should wait and I did try to stay away from him because my expectations were growing each time we spoke but I kept coming back to him, but time is key.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeah thanks guys, I shouldn't really keep my hopes up, but it feels soo right and I know I should wait and I did try to stay away from him because my expectations were growing each time we spoke but I kept coming back to him, but time is key.
    Just wanna add there are a few people in the same position as you, might be worth taking a look at this thread as well http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=626670

ReputationRep:
    If you really like this guy then you should try and still speak to him every day and Skype and things like that, but definitely go out with him when he comes to the UK

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.