Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on writing my history extended essay on hitler- something along the lines of

Hitler was the "master of the Third Reich." How far do you agree with this statement.

what do you guys think? I've only studied the rise of hitler in IGCSE, and after some research I found out apparently A level history students study this??
    What do you guys think of this as an EE topic for history
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    In my opinion, it's a very overdone area of research and the chances of you saying or finding something original or even remotely different are slim to none.

BUT, if this is the research area that interests you, then so be it.

(Original post by Pupcraze)
    Hitler was the "master of the Third Reich." How far do you agree with this statement.
    I think that's definitely a start, but I would caution you that this RQ is a little vague. I'm assuming you will, of course, define what "master of the Third Reich" means in the context of your essay, which will clear things up. As of now, this RQ is workable and it will organically change and alter as you write your essay and do more research.

Perhaps rephrase the RQ so that it looks more like an EE question? At the moment, it sounds like an exam question which should not ideally be its format.

Maybe ask: "To what extent can Hitler be considered 'the master of the Third Reich'?"

ReputationRep:
    I have to agree with arrowhead, the most common mistake made by people writing their extended essays is having a too broad RQ... maybe you could talk to your supervisor about developing a more focussed one? But if this interests you, that's the most important thing and will be reflected in your essay

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did my extended essay on 'How was the architecture of the Third Reich used as a propaganda tool?' or something along those lines, think it was worded more sophisticated than that. I found that even this question gave me soooo much to write about, and I had to cut out whole sections when I was done to get to the word limit.
    I agree with the others that your question is perhaps a bit too broad, pick a more streamlined question where you can really get to the point. I would suggest you narrow your focus, there are lots of sources on the Third Reich so whatever you choose you will have ample sources.
    Pick something that interests you within the Hitler/Third Reich topic, you could do the question you picked but you'd have a tough time doing a full analysis of such a broad statement in so few words (it really does feel that way once you start writing it).
    Just a few suggestions; maybe look at the structure of the Nazi party and whether Hitler really had the greatest influence if you are interested in the master/power aspect of it? or perhaps look at EITHER what social OR economic policies Hitler used to maintain control in Germany. Something along those lines would be more focused but still easy to find material for.
    Good luck with it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.