Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, guys. I am from EU , but I was accepted to study medicine. Nevermind...
    Well, summer is not so far from us and as everyone knows it is quite popular among the youth to work paid job in summer.
    I also started looking for one, but now I am a bit confused.
    I know that Medicine and studies related to this field are significantly hard.
    Most people say to me that I should not to work but enjoy my free time since [studies will be demanding and difficult and it is better to relax.
    What is your opinion? Is it working making money in this way?
    What would you choose to do this summer? And why?
    Or maybe you worked and studies Medicine after that also? What is your experience?
    Thanks a lot guys :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I think you should use your time at university to do as many different and interesting things as you can; you won't be able to once your career is under way. If you need money for that, look for work. If you don't, use the time to do something fun and memorable. Depends on you :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. How about you? Do you work in summer?

ReputationRep:
    Hello there maybe you can work for part/half of the summer and then use the rest of the time to chill and relax....another option is to work part time, say maybe four days a week and use the rest of the days to do what ever you have to do . Another option is to find a job that you would enjoy doing, for e.g if you love swimming consider working as a swimming instructor ? or if you like working with kids maybe at a nursery etc? Make it fun...but its up to you really, if you do NEED the money than you should really consider that as a major factor in getting a job if you don't and other things such as family time, some personal time etc then those should be important factors as well... Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you're after. If you were like me and was planning on getting a new laptop for example, summer work is nice. If you want a bit more to spend during the year, by all means work and earn money.

But uni hasn't been that packed this year in terms of studies - just about to finish 1st year. There has been plenty of time to do social stuff, and work as well.

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks for all opinions.Well money for me is just for spending...like clothes, massages, language courses and other things that I did not buy all year round. Just to have something that my parents currently cannot buy I know it sounds silly
    Another problem is my character- when I am doing something fun or relaxing I start blaming myself that I am such a lazy person and think that I need to work, work, work and keep busy. I am a darboholoc....that is a problem
    But sometimes when I do aboslutely random stuff I think that instead of it I could spend this time more worthy, for instance, making money.
    On the other hand, one part of mine says that I really deserved relaxation and holidays

ReputationRep:
    I worked casually in a pub for a few holidays - it got me some spending money and, let's be honest, there are worse places to spend a few hours than a local pub...

But yes as nexttime says, use your free time to relax and have some fun. If you need the money then work, but if you don't I'd rather let off some steam.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely don't think there's any harm in having a part time job (say weekends) during the holidays. I'm on a gap year and I've been told I can have my job (waitress in a v busy gastropub) in uni holidays as that is typically when they need more people. Having a job will take the pressure off holidays when you have no student finance but probably still rent and things you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Yes, money is a strong argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BreakFastMe)
    Another problem is my character- when I am doing something fun or relaxing I start blaming myself that I am such a lazy person and think that I need to work, work, work and keep busy. I am a darboholoc....that is a problem
    Come on now - its important to know how to have fun. Sounds like you should spend summer finding something you enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BreakFastMe)
    Thanks. Yes, money is a strong argument.
    It's only a strong argument if you really need the money. From what you've said, I'd echo nexttime's sentiments - you need to learn how to relax and have fun without feeling guilty. If you're unable to do that once you've got to uni, you're going to crash and burn. Crash and burn. And I'm talking about for any degree, not just Medicine. There's always the possibility to do more work on a degree course - you need to learn when not to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    It's only a strong argument if you really need the money. From what you've said, I'd echo nexttime's sentiments - you need to learn how to relax and have fun without feeling guilty. If you're unable to do that once you've got to uni, you're going to crash and burn. Crash and burn. And I'm talking about for any degree, not just Medicine. There's always the possibility to do more work on a degree course - you need to learn when not to do it.
    Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.