The Student Room Group

Geology

Hello, I joined today... :biggrin:

Seems like there isn't many geologists around here, I hope I am wrong....

But did anyone did the Geology exam today? 16th May, on earth structures and that
You might maybe want to mention what exam out of however many hundred geology exams there are in the UK you sat...
you mean for OCR unit 1? The AS exam? i did that exam today
Was that the AS one all about mid ocean ridges and subduction zones?

Posted from TSR Mobile
8 mark question at the end about oceanic and continental convergent plate features and processes?
Yeah that one, how did you find it? I thought it was okay, exactly what I was expecting :smile:
Woooo geologyyy!!!!!!!!!! :d
Reply 7
I thought this had no replies, will be adding some people that did so as well!

Yes OCR, AS level (first year of a levels) about earthquakes, earth structure and that, and yeah with a 8 marks in the last page about continental-oceanic convergent boundary!

This is some of what i remember
I had no idea of the answer for the first question, which asked what was the plate tectonic feature that caused the earthquake in japan.... I misspelled symmetrical syncline (wrote sincline), so probs will lose a mark as they asked to spell it correctly...

In the fold questions with pictures I said symmetrical anticline, then I think it was an overfold (can't remember well) then recumbent fold...

I had no idea about how satellite could help us to see the movement of the ocean plate... Don't even remember my answer...

For the earthquakes questions, I said the richter scale measures the energy released... For the Mercalli scale, I said the it measures the damage caused? I hope they allow it as it measures the intensity which is the damage caused...

The evidence for meteorite impact i mentioned was craters, inverted strata and impact melting (hope it counts...)

The last question, 8 marks, I mentioned everything that came to my head, partial melting, volcanoes, earthquake due to friction and that, fold mountains, subduction, ocean plate is denser therefore is the one that is subducted...etc
(edited 10 years ago)
I thought the first question for Japan was to do with the subduction zone like the convergent plate boundary?
The question about the rate of sea floor spreading was 3cm/year, I know I did that wrong, I did it in metres :frown: but yeah the last one I drew a typical diagram and put in everything! I can't really remember much now, the folds question was quite difficult I think like labelling them, idk I can't remember much :L
Reply 9
Original post by zohmygoditsgabby
I thought the first question for Japan was to do with the subduction zone like the convergent plate boundary?
The question about the rate of sea floor spreading was 3cm/year, I know I did that wrong, I did it in metres :frown: but yeah the last one I drew a typical diagram and put in everything! I can't really remember much now, the folds question was quite difficult I think like labelling them, idk I can't remember much :L

yeah 3 cm/year, that's what I put... yeees:P And yeah for the first question I only wrote: subduction. Probs not enough...

I think we'll need like 42-48 out of 60 to get an A, so I hope they'll be kind when marking my paper xD

I wasn't too sure about the questions on liquefaction.... In the diagram for the MOR was just the one in the book, the normal fault one was easy I guess....

Can't remember of anything else, good luck for the Wednesday exam, about rocks and processes
Thanks, I'm gonna need it! Hate to break it to you but looking at past papers to get an A ranges from 43 marks up to 48 :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
On Wednesday tell me how it went:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending