Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Rather cliched potential career options I know! Won't spend ages justifying why the change of heart, but I am seriously interested in and genuinely considering a legal career.

I'm currently a second year medic at Bristol; my problem is this - I've had some extenuating circumstances in my first two years involving health that have meant my degree transcript probably isn't too impressive or consistent so far (50% & 70% in 1st year, 50% & 75% in 2nd year, and both the 50% were after failing one exam in the unit so having my total mark capped). In addition, medical degree marks aren't as straight forward as those for other degrees as we are not awarded an overall classification.

I am however planning on intercalating after my third year in Law & Ethics, where I will get a classification, and as my health issues are a lot better now, I anticipate my marks improving significantly for my last three clinical years too.

My question is - would a 1st in my Law & Ethics BA, and consistently strong marks in my last three years (along with experience and ECs etc.) make up for my poorer performance in the first two if I was considering applying to city and MC firms for training contracts?

ReputationRep:
    If your Law & Ethics is a BA, as opposed to a QLD (LLB/GDL) you will need to take the GDL to be able to do your LPC in order to get a Training Contract.

If you take any scholarships/funding out of the equation:

Medicine > BA (needs converting to a QLD) > GDL > LPC > TC.

edit; but to answer your question, I wouldn't be disheartened by poor grades early on in your degree. I would focus on getting good grades from here out, as well as extra curricular stuff to pad out your CV and as much experience as you can get.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.