Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Broadband provider comparison watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm moving in a new flat and would like to install wifi in it without paying for a phone line/TV subscription.

If possible, without a contract (but a 6 months contract then you cancel whenever you want is fine as well).

Thanks for your suggestions!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Broadband+provider+comparison&l=1

ReputationRep:
    I prefer to have some feedback as well of whatever provider people suggests. thanks anw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by destination unknown)
    Hi everyone,

I'm moving in a new flat and would like to install wifi in it without paying for a phone line/TV subscription.

If possible, without a contract (but a 6 months contract then you cancel whenever you want is fine as well).

Good luck with that...

You can't get what you want.

Your only option is DST broadband or Zen and you're going to be forking out £40 a month minimum with them because of the short term contract + phone line involved + Big download allowance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    Good luck with that...

You can't get what you want.

Your only option is DST broadband or Zen and you're going to be forking out £40 a month minimum with them because of the short term contract + phone line involved + Big download allowance.
    I did say a 6 months contract minimum wouldn't be a problem, I can even stretch to a 12 months contract.

But I don't want a landline for sure.

Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    We have Virgin Media and that's with no phone line or tv sub. I'm not entirely sure about the contract portion with them for it though.

ReputationRep:
    If you can stretch to 12 months then Virgin is your only real choice.

Click no on the left handside
    http://store.virginmedia.com/broadba...buspart=AFF_31

£22.50pm for 12 month contract at 30mb download speed.

ReputationRep:
    You can also consider tethering to an unlimited mobile plan like 3's One Plan.

I know a few people who've done this - basic light users and their internet is as fast and reliable as my old ADSL connection with Sky. Only bad thing is that pings were poor but unless you're gaming, torrenting etc it doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    You can also consider tethering to an unlimited mobile plan like 3's One Plan.

I know a few people who've done this - basic light users and their internet is as fast and reliable as my old ADSL connection with Sky. Only bad thing is that pings were poor but unless you're gaming, torrenting etc it doesn't matter.
    This is what we do...it worked out cheaper and faster than 'normal' broadband!! Three are the only provider I would recommend - for two reasons mainly. Firstly, you either have 3G signal or nothing! And secondly they appear to be the only provider who offer 100% unlimited data, which you'll need!!

Yes, ping is rather poor, but when browsing normally, it's barely noticeable,

OP, if you have any questions about it...message me!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbenton2)
    This is what we do...it worked out cheaper and faster than 'normal' broadband!! Three are the only provider I would recommend - for two reasons mainly. Firstly, you either have 3G signal or nothing! And secondly they appear to be the only provider who offer 100% unlimited data, which you'll need!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Switch out your phone for a Nexus 4, it's a DC-HSPA+ phone so you'll notice double the speed and a much lower ping.

*This assumes you are using a device with a non DC-HSPA+ radio and are in a DC-HSPA+ covered area.

ReputationRep:
    Switch out your phone for a Nexus 4, it's a DC-HSPA+ phone so you'll notice double the speed and a much lower ping.

*This assumes you are using a device with a non DC-HSPA+ radio and are in a DC-HSPA+ covered area.
    Well I have an iPhone 4S...and live in the middle nowhere!! to be fair, I'm happy with the speeds I'm getting at the moment...my contract is due up at the end of the year....so will re-asses things then!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you can stretch to 12 months then Virgin is your only real choice.

Click no on the left handside
    http://store.virginmedia.com/broadba...buspart=AFF_31

£22.50pm for 12 month contract at 30mb download speed.
    This option sounds good
    How can I check that my area is well covered by virgin and will have full speed as advertised (in this case "up to 30mb"). And is this speed enough to watch streaming? Especially all the foreign football games, I watch them on dodgy websites, so it's not as fast as bbc iplayer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the info. Your solution will be useful for the few weeks before deciding if a join a broadband provider.

I have too unlimited data on my phone (Samsung S2), how can I use the data on my pc?

ReputationRep:
    This option sounds good
    How can I check that my area is well covered by virgin and will have full speed as advertised (in this case "up to 30mb"). And is this speed enough to watch streaming? Especially all the foreign football games, I watch them on dodgy websites, so it's not as fast as bbc iplayer.

Thanks for the info. Your solution will be useful for the few weeks before deciding if a join a broadband provider.

I have too unlimited data on my phone (Samsung S2), how can I use the data on my pc?
    They ask you to enter your postcode when you sign up to check everything like that.

I wouldn't recommend hooking up your phone to your PC as 3G connections are slower and much less reliable than the service Virgin can provide. It can be done, but like i said it'll either be a terrible connection, or work out just about ok. But not superfast or whatever. For a short term it could be an option but you'd have to test it first to confirm it works at your new place.

What's your network/tariff?

ReputationRep:
    Most contracts don't allow tethering so you may not be able to use that "unlimited data" on your PC. Often tethering is an extra add on if you have "unlimited data", One of the contracts from Three is the only one I'm aware of that allows tethering and is unlimited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    Most contracts don't allow tethering so you may not be able to use that "unlimited data" on your PC. Often tethering is an extra add on if you have "unlimited data", One of the contracts from Three is the only one I'm aware of that allows tethering and is unlimited.
    Yeah, three actually said to us that using a phone contract and tethering was going to be a better option than using their mobile broadband MyFi things!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, three actually said to us that using a phone contract and tethering was going to be a better option than using their mobile broadband MyFi things!!
    I've used their PAYG+12 option for a few years but I've only needed it for occasional access when away from home. For Data contracts about the best you can get is 15GB/Month. With a 3G dongle/Mifi you might get slightly better rates and ping times than tethering via a phone but with a phone you may be able to get more data. One problem I did find tethering to my phone was that it uses a lot of battery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    I've used their PAYG+12 option for a few years but I've only needed it for occasional access when away from home. For Data contracts about the best you can get is 15GB/Month. With a 3G dongle/Mifi you might get slightly better rates and ping times than tethering via a phone but with a phone you may be able to get more data. One problem I did find tethering to my phone was that it uses a lot of battery.
    Oh yeah, there is no doubt it's a battery killer, but I always have mine charging at the same time, or, as I have a mac, share the hotspot through USB, so the phone is charging and tethering at the same time,

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Why don't you want a phone line? Cost? Only virgin to bb without one but it's still more expensive than if you were to go for a provider with a phone line. Www.greatsavings.co/bb do it for £18.39. New line install is just £24. They also do stuff like a cashback card which means you can reduce your bill.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOtts)
    Why don't you want a phone line? Cost? Only virgin to bb without one but it's still more expensive than if you were to go for a provider with a phone line. Www.greatsavings.co/bb do it for £18.39. New line install is just £24. They also do stuff like a cashback card which means you can reduce your bill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because I will never reply to calls on my landline, don't want extra bills and finally I relocate nearly every year.

So all in all, it's pointless to have a phoneline

Now if you can prove to me that it's a cheaper option on a 12 month period than the virgin deal, I might concur with your option

Because I will never reply to calls on my landline, don't want extra bills and finally I relocate nearly every year.

So all in all, it's pointless to have a phoneline

Now if you can prove to me that it's a cheaper option on a 12 month period than the virgin deal, I might concur with your option
    Well... it's only pointless if it doesn't work out cheaper than another broadband option? For example, a few years ago I was on O2 broadband (not sure they even do it any more tbh...) discounted with my Mobile, so was paying £11 line rental and £7 for 20mb broadband (and got a full 19 of it, which was awesome)... so £18 for the lot. The only "no phone line" option was Virgin which at the time was a minimum of £25.

You don't actually have to plug in a phone if you don't want to use the line for calls.

Relocating can be an issue as you might have to pay for a line installation at your new house - but, relocating can be an issue anyway... as Virgin doesn't have coverage everywhere, so if you move out of a cabled area, you're stuck looking for another option again.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.