Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Could anybody look through this, and give me some pointers? Thank you xx

Both men glanced up, for the rectangleof sunshine in the doorway was cut off. A girl was standing therelooking in. She had full, rouged lips and wide-spaced eyes, heavilymade up. Her fingernails were red. Her hair hung in little rolledclusters, like sausages. She wore a cotton house dress and red mules,on the insteps of which were little bouquets of red ostrich feathers.“I’m lookin’ for Curley,” she said. Her voice had a nasal,brittle quality. George looked away from her and then back. “He wasin here a minute ago, but he went.” “Oh!” She put her handsbehind her back and leaned against the door frame so that her bodywas thrown forward. “You’re the new fellas that just come, ain’tya?” “Yeah.”
    Lennie’s eyes moved down over herbody, and though she did not seem to be looking at Lennie she bridleda little. She looked at her fingernails. “Sometimes Curley’s inhere,” she explained. George said brusquely, “Well he ain’tnow.” “If he ain’t, I guess I better look some place else,”she said playfully. Lennie watched her, fascinated. George said, “IfI see him, I’ll pass the word you was looking for him.” Shesmiled archly and twitched her body. “Nobody can’t blame a personfor lookin’,” she said. There were footsteps behind her, goingby. She turned her head. “Hi, Slim,” she said. Slim’s voicecame through the door. “Hi, Good-lookin’.” “I’m tryin’ tofind Curley, Slim.” “Well, you ain’t tryin’ very hard. I seenhim goin’ in your house.” She was suddenly apprehensive. “’Bye, boys,” she called into the bunk house, and she hurriedaway. George looked around at Lennie. “Jesus, what a tramp,” hesaid. “So that’s what Curley picks for a wife.”

a) In this passage, what methods doesSteinbeck use to present Curely's wife and the attitude of otherstowards her?
    I have been asked to look at themethods used by Steinbeck in his novelette, Of Mice and Men, topresent the character Curley's Wife, and the attitudes of the otherstowards her. I will do this by analysing the piece of text given tome, outline key points and look at the type of language used.
    To start of with, Steinbeck presentsCurley's wife physically. She has “full, rouge lips” and is“heavily made up”, with her hair done in “little rolledclusters, like sausages”. Steinbeck is telling us here that she hasspent a lot of time making her self look good, even though she is ona ranch full of men. She is also colour coordinated to the colourred, which is to give us the impression that she is a bit of aharlot, along with the ostrich feather on her shoes.
    Her physical appearance is what givesus the first impression that she is, as referred to in another partof the book, jailbait. What confirms this impression is that sheeffectively throws herself at the new men, “She puts her handsbehind her back, and leaned against the door frame, so that her bodywas thrown foreward.” She is forcing it upon them, as if she justpass up any opportunity to flirt with somebody.
    She becomes apprehensive when Slimtell her that Curley has just gone into her home, which shows us thatalthough she has no problem with flaunting herself around the othermen, she is actually slightly scared of Curley, “'Bye boys' shecalled into the bunk house, and she hurried away” She doesn't wantto keep him waiting, possibly for fear of what he might do.

The men's attitudes towards Curley'swife are pretty much discontempt. They treat her as if she was apretty little pet, but not to be taken seriously.
    George treats her slightlydifferently, he is wary of her, and so tries to build a wall straightaway. He talks to her “brusquely”, and immediatley after she hasgone, starts slandering her.
    Lennie's mind restircts him fromhaving a proper opinion of her, but in this passages, he just likeswhat he sees. He doesn't say anything, but “watched her,fascinated.” He can't see that there will be any problem with her.
    Slim almost flirts along with her,because he knows that he has the brains to know when to stop. Hetreats her like she's almost a little girl, “Hey good-looking!”.Whilst this might seem a friednly, slightly flirty, greeting, itcould also be Slim being sarcastic. He jokes along with he, butthat's it.

In my opinion, Steinbeck presentsCurley's wife in a very bad light. She's presented as a bit of aharlot, not properly taken seriously by anybody, seen as the local“jailbait”. She is presented as almost not being a real person,with real feelings, but an object that can be played with as the moodtakes it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.