The Student Room Group

Vector / Integral question - probably simple, but can't see answer.

http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/coursematerial/2012/2393/15/Sheet3_13.pdf

It's question 6 of the above, just the bit at the start of step c) where you prove ϕ(r)=kρ(r)rrdV\nabla\phi(r)=\int \frac{k\nabla'\rho(r')}{|r-r'|}dV'.

Basically, you have ϕ(r)\phi(r), and you can assume the identities proved in a) and b). Prime on a vector operator means treat r' as variable and r as constant.

What I did was;

ϕ(r)=(kρ(r)rr)dV\nabla\phi(r)=\int\nabla(\frac{k\rho(r')}{|r-r'|})dV'
=(1rr)kρ(r)dV=\int\nabla(\frac{1}{|r-r'|})k\rho(r')dV'
=k(1rr)ρ(r)dV=-k\int\nabla'(\frac{1}{|r-r'|})\rho(r')dV'

Then using integration by parts or the product rule;

=k(ρ(r)rr)ρ(r)dV+k((ρ(r))rr)dV=-k\int\nabla'(\frac{\rho(r')}{|r-r'|})\rho(r')dV'+k\int(\frac{ \nabla'(\rho(r'))}{|r-r'|})dV'

However, this is the wrong answer, as the first term won't always be zero and the second term is the required integral. The class notes I copied off the board (without understanding at the same time) seem to do the same thing I have, but the answer is definitely the one asked for, as that's what it says in the textbook.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing. I don't know where to start looking. Thanks :smile:

EDIT: I've solved the problem - there is a typo in the question. It should say rho vanishes outside and on the boundary, which causes the extra term to disappear, by the divergence theorem. I am now really happy. Feel free to delete the thread. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
"probably simple"

Quick Reply

Latest