ReputationRep:
    I've got my English exams as follows:
    20/05/13 - English Lit Unit 1 (Of Mice and Men and Unseen Poetry)
    23/05/13 - English Lit Unit 2 (Heroes and An Inspector Calls)
    04/06/13 - English Language Unit 1
    04/06/13 - English Language Unit 2

They're on the WJEC exam board and I'm currently on a B grade by only one mark above a C . I need to bump my grades up as high as possible and have realised that my main weaknesses are timing and the reading paper.
    This is my 1st year doing English Lit and I haven't had any mocks so I'm really struggling here.

ANY ADVICE IS HELPFUL ADVICE FOR ME ATM. Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    My best is Reading papers
    I'm on AQA though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    My best is Reading papers
    I'm on AQA though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you got any advice? arghh I wish I was you at this moment

ReputationRep:
    Write what your hearts tells you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahmid Chowdhury)
    Have you got any advice? arghh I wish I was you at this moment
    Firstly, have a positive attitude. If you keep telling yourself "Reading papers are my weakness I can't do I" you won't be able to.

Now, I'm not sure how your paper is set though I presume you have a major question at the end? Normally, by the time I get to the last question I only have about 7/8 minutes left (it's worth 12 marks sometimes) but I spend about 4/5 minutes highlighting the text and annotating all the bits for the answer. (Bearing in mind at this point I'm ALWAYS panicky that I'll run out of time) however I write super fast and manage to answer the question in about 3/4 minutes just by going through all my annotations.

Last time I did this I got 11/12 on the question (don't think it was a past paper one though but it just shows that despite me always been scared about time towards the end the technique does work)

If you have answers you want me to look at etc just ask

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    if you need any help with inspector calls and of mice and men and i am happy to help you did it all last year and got A* and was able to bring my grades up just tell me what you need help with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Frieza)
    Write what your hearts tells you!
    If only I could ... but I don't think the examiner would agree wiht my heart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxMizzChocolatexX)
    if you need any help with inspector calls and of mice and men and i am happy to help you did it all last year and got A* and was able to bring my grades up just tell me what you need help with
    Hiya, thanks for the help
    Basically have you got any ways to remember key quote's/events in both books?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, have a positive attitude. If you keep telling yourself "Reading papers are my weakness I can't do I" you won't be able to.

Now, I'm not sure how your paper is set though I presume you have a major question at the end? Normally, by the time I get to the last question I only have about 7/8 minutes left (it's worth 12 marks sometimes) but I spend about 4/5 minutes highlighting the text and annotating all the bits for the answer. (Bearing in mind at this point I'm ALWAYS panicky that I'll run out of time) however I write super fast and manage to answer the question in about 3/4 minutes just by going through all my annotations.

Last time I did this I got 11/12 on the question (don't think it was a past paper one though but it just shows that despite me always been scared about time towards the end the technique does work)

If you have answers you want me to look at etc just ask

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya, thanks for the offer! I didn't realise this forum would be so helpful! I would ask you to mark a question but I've just gave my answer book to my English teacher to mark today... but I'll keep you in mind if I need you to check them when I get the book back off my teacher

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how to do a Section B question for AQA with 3 other texts??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaish)
    Anyone know how to do a Section B question for AQA with 3 other texts??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It will normally say "With item 1 and one other" so you'll be linking 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1. (a) Explain why foxes became so popular.
    (b) According to Adam Edwards, why have foxes become so common in towns?
    [10]

would this mean 5 points with explanation for each question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahmid Chowdhury)
    1. (a) Explain why foxes became so popular.
    (b) According to Adam Edwards, why have foxes become so common in towns?
    [10]

would this mean 5 points with explanation for each question?
    Difficult to say without reading the text though I would probably do 10 points based on his opinion or something idk,
    But for AQA we were told to have the same amount of points as the marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Difficult to say without reading the text though I would probably do 10 points based on his opinion or something idk,
    But for AQA we were told to have the same amount of points as the marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is the paper; http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/papers/s12-4171-02a.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Well I did Edexcel English Literature for IGCSE and we did An Inspector Calls as one of the plays.

I got an A* so ask me anything if you want I could probably help you out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the same board (and am doing the same books) at the moment and I'm struggling with the revising too! It's mainly the unseen poetry because I just find poems difficult to understand, but what I am doing for the exam on Monday is:

1. Using revision books when I can be bothered- they always have good points and make them quick and easy to remember.
    2. When I'm feeling lazy I'm going on youtube because there are a lot of videos helping with the analyzing (especially for Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls).
    3. Looking at practice papers to get what type of questions they may ask and what kind of answers they may expect.

Anyway I hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    I found using Bitesize helped, especially with Inspector Calls, because its a play they covered all the types of things they could ask, so like about the plot/characters but also from a view of 'if you were playing ..... how would you present yourself...'. With questions like those so long as you cover all the bases (Osgo, Voice, Movements, walk, volume, clothes etc) you should be okay, so lond as you always justify what you say

My English teacher always taught us P.E.E. - Point, Evidence, Explain - and it always seemed to work for me! I'm doing AS english lit now and it still works and I get high marks, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men too, but I'm with AQA. My best piece of advice would be to read online essays, go through the indicative content on the markschemes from past papers and keep trying different questions.
    For the unseen poetry question, try and pick out key methods like alliterations, metaphors etc and the importance of it. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    English is the best and easiest too! Just practise writing and writing and ask people to look and give their opinion, I loved English Literature got an A* without effort because in just an emotional person and I put all of those emotions unto paper..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered welcome lounge threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.