Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I really fancy this guy at the gym Watch

I see him all the time in there and he's really cute, but though we have mutual friends I don't actually know him.

Advice?

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just go talk to him .. Ask him if he can teach you an exercise or something . be upfront . be straight forward. Strike up a conversation and get a drink or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I see him all the time in there and he's really cute, but though we have mutual friends I don't actually know him.

Advice?
    go and talk to him! Start working on the machine next to him, spark up a conversation, ask your friends about anything you both like that you could talk about, and roll with it, see where it goes

ReputationRep:
    Just ask for my number. You going tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    Same! I really fancy this girl I keep seeing at the gym too!

I'd say smile a couple of times when you see him. Once he recognises your face, say something like, "hey, how is your work out going today ...." or "Could you give me a hand with this machine, I've never used this before ...." These are pretty casual conversations starters. Nothing major. Once he helps you out, say "thank you .... I'm X by the way". And smile again! (A nice smile from a girl always floors me!)

I'm hoping my girl at the gym will approach me too, if not I'm going to have to go in!

ReputationRep:
    Just strike up a conversation with him! One of my friends pretended to drop something as she walked by her crush .......it ended up working really well

(Original post by palashnick)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just go talk to him .. Ask him if he can teach you an exercise or something . be upfront . be straight forward. Strike up a conversation and get a drink or something
    How am I going to talk with him without sounding creepy? I'm there all the time too, so it's going to be awkward if he realises I fancy him and don't like him back

Ask to help you with weights or say something is stuck and you cannot get it out or something, I did it once totally worked for me and we got chatting! Or add him on facebook?

ReputationRep:
    Just talk to him, I was in the exact same situation and things went better than I expected.

(Original post by swiftylol)
    Just talk to him, I was in the exact same situation and things went better than I expected.
    Haha OK I'll go for it

ReputationRep:

Advice?
    How could you take part in such degrading behaviour which clearly objectifies men and devalues them in society's eyes. All this objectification of men makes us feel uncomfortable, we don't go to the gym to be stared at and all the revealing sports clothing isn't a invitation to stare or talk to us. This blatant sexism and objectification of men is disgusting no wonder we want men's only hours.

Spoiler:
    Show
    On a less sarcastic note, just go up to him and say that you recognise him from mutual friends and see where it goes.

ReputationRep:
    Erm wasnt this a big NO NO in the other thread for guys asking girls in gym???

ReputationRep:
    Just ask him if he can show you how to do an exercise! Make sure it is something that he will know (think squats) and just break a conversation from there with like the usual small talk and then work on it for a week or two! If he's into you (most guys that gym like girls that gym - speaking from experience), then you should be plain sailing!

Good luck!!!

ps - if anyone can tell me how to approach girls at the gym, that would be much appreciated, there is a super cute girl at my gym and we like make shy eye contact and smile at each other every time we bump into each other, but it's not progressed from that in like 4 weeks...

(Original post by Aoide)
    How could you take part in such degrading behaviour which clearly objectifies men and devalues them in society's eyes. All this objectification of men makes us feel uncomfortable, we don't go to the gym to be stared at and all the revealing sports clothing isn't a invitation to stare or talk to us. This blatant sexism and objectification of men is disgusting no wonder we want men's only hours.
    Hahahahaha I salute you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llewellyn)
    Girls do not go to the gym looking to pick up guys (at least most don't anyway - most go to the gym to get fit) - so it's not the best idea to approach a girl with those intentions.

However, guys have a greater tendency to go to the gym for aesthetics (getting muscular) as well as just getting fit - and for those guys they would probably want to be approached in the gym, because that is the means to their end.
    Not everyone that goes to the gym is single... and everyone goes to the gym for the same reason. To get fit... bit stupid paying membership to just chat to girls dont you think?

ReputationRep:
    Just mention a mutual friend?

'Hi, I've recognised you for ages but I didn't know where... do you know [mutual friends name]?' Then introduce yourself.

Say it with smiley eyes and a smile (like a whole face smile) and it won't look creepy (smiles that don't cover your face can make you look a bit crazy as they're obviously fake).

I wouldn't ask for help for anything cause if you do go all the time he might know you don't need his help... unless you want him to know that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Aoide)

Spoiler:
    Show
    On a less sarcastic note, just go up to him and say that you recognise him from mutual friends and see where it goes.
    I seeee what you did there

ReputationRep:
    I'd say don't bother as guys go to the gym to get fit.

OMG he asked for my number how to progress this?

ReputationRep:
    OMG he asked for my number how to progress this?
    give it to him?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

GURL give it?!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.