The Student Room Group

Unprepared - 8 exams

I am doing AS levels:

So I have an ART AND ARCHITECTURE exam tomorrow, which I feel fine for and the Odyssey on Tuesday morning which I feel fine for
Psychology unit 1 I also feel fine for (which is also tuesday morning)

BUT CHEMISTRY AND BIOLOGY, THE SUBJECTS I FIND THE HARDEST I HAVE BEEN AVOIDING

I haven't even done unit 1 chemistry yet (was in January) I withdrew and decided to do it in the summer (I feel was a good choice on my part as I am more prepared now than I was then)
Biology unit 1 I got a D thanks to a crazy enzyme question which was misleading and a crazy HIV question which required soooo much how science works (A friend of mine aced all the questions apart from HIV question and got an E grade)

I lack in common sense, but I managed to get in my GCSE modules ABA for biology and A*AA* in chemistry for GCSE with hardly any revision
I felt that I had some sort of ability where my brain functioned at a more superior level than others since I hardly revised yet still got good grades

BUT NOW I AM SPRIALING OUT OF CONTROL
I FEEL SO UNPREPARED
HAD TO TEACH MYSELF 3 TOPICS FOR CHEMISTRY
WE LITERALLY FINISHED THE CHEMISTRY SYLLABUS THE DAY BEFORE STUDY LEAVE

FML WHAT DO I DO I HAVE 8 EXAMS AND 4 EXAMS NEXT WEEK I WANT TO DIE

I struggle with the equations for chemistry and biology I have no idea why my brain wont get a grip
I do a past paper (in both subjects), get things wrong or have to use my notes, then afterwards I am like "I could have gotten that, wtf is wrong with me??"

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?! ANY ADVICE?! THANKS
Don't worry about your AS grades being low when you got high grades at GCSE - everyone finds out that AS levels are much harder than GCSE's. But if you've left it this late for revision then that's a bit of tough luck.

On the other hand, just keep going over past paper questions and revising the theory in exam conditions. Make sure that you're doing decent revision and not spending as much time on TSR. You're just going to have to give Biology and Chemistry your all when it comes to revising them.

And if you want to know, I got an E in AS Chemistry because I didn't revise as effectively (well, not really at all) compared to my other subjects (which I got AAB in), so it goes to show that prioritising some subjects over others isn't good and to compensate you're going to have to do a lot of revision on the subjects you feel you're weak at.
Reply 2
its a shame you left your revision till the last minute, but you arent the only one. i did the same for GCSE but now ive realised i need to work hard! don't stress out over it though, it will block your mind with all the negative thoughts and you wont be able to learn anything during revision. My aim is just to do past papers and use mar schemes so i know exactly what the examiner wants, also looking at similarities between questions that have come up over the years. Biology is a perfect example. but from now until your exams i would fit in as much revision as possible and hope for the best. if you want to talk about anything else feel free to pm me:smile: good luck!
Reply 3
I haven't left revision as late as you might think, just I have had a break from chemistry and biology since I have classical civilisation and psychology sooner than them
Plus I lost 2 days of revision as I was revising the wrong unit for psychology!! (because we were taught unit 2 first and unit 1 later so I got mixed up!)

Plus we get given loads of homework to do which took up most my time in free periods and after school :frown: so the only time I have been able to revise properly is study leave, I got lazy and stopped revising as I went along the year *facepalm*
Reply 4
Original post by iLoveMyCatsx
I haven't left revision as late as you might think, just I have had a break from chemistry and biology since I have classical civilisation and psychology sooner than them
Plus I lost 2 days of revision as I was revising the wrong unit for psychology!! (because we were taught unit 2 first and unit 1 later so I got mixed up!)

Plus we get given loads of homework to do which took up most my time in free periods and after school :frown: so the only time I have been able to revise properly is study leave, I got lazy and stopped revising as I went along the year *facepalm*

tell me about the homework o m g. my school were making us do mocks 3 days ago on top of my english coursework because my teacher couldnt be bothered to mark it!! its ridiculous. dont worry i feel your pain:frown: i honestly reckon you'll do fine:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by mel1995
tell me about the homework o m g. my school were making us do mocks 3 days ago on top of my english coursework because my teacher couldnt be bothered to mark it!! its ridiculous. dont worry i feel your pain:frown: i honestly reckon you'll do fine:smile:

I know how you feel about the mocks!!

on the week of my chemistry EMPA experiment and exam I had 3 mocks to do: biology, art and architecture and psychology :frown: I hate how it makes us cram revision into a couple days it's not effective at all
Reply 6
Original post by iLoveMyCatsx
I know how you feel about the mocks!!

on the week of my chemistry EMPA experiment and exam I had 3 mocks to do: biology, art and architecture and psychology :frown: I hate how it makes us cram revision into a couple days it's not effective at all

its just so stupid, and the way some teachers think its only their subject that matters, its like no im doing THREE OTHER ONES AS WELL!
Tough luck if you left your revision this late.
Is your Biology OCR? I found that trying to do past papers for Biology wasn't the best way to spend my time if time was short - instead look at the question, quickly work out what you might say then look at the mark scheme. Then MEMORISE THE MARK SCHEME. For Chemistry however, papers are important because there are a lot more questions that are about working out things using equations and fewer questions based purely on memory so you need to know that you can use the equations correctly in exam questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest