Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just read this

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/warp-speed-...5.html#ChSRQNR

I think FTL travel would be a great achievement for mankind and would mean humanity will be one more step closer to star trek, star wars, mass effect becoming a reality. It is a shame though that I doubt that it will happen in our life time. If they pull it off it would be good to see what else technology wise will come about because of it

What are your thoughts on a warp drive and FTL travel?

ReputationRep:
    of course it's not going to happen in our life time nowhere near it you will be looking as hundreds of thousands of years minimum before we have developed anywhere near enough to travel faster than light, in the end it might not even be viable at all who knows.

ReputationRep:
    " The trick? It's not the starship that's moving — it's the space around it."

Futurama was right!

In all seriousness though, I'm not going to pretend to be able to evaluate the validity of the claim, but I'm a group of experts think the possibility remains, I am inclined to believe them.

It's an interesting concept, that of faster than light travel, it solves all sorts of logistical problems, and would pave the way for space exploration and colonization on a whole new level.

But the truth is, it's very difficult to predict when and if such technology would become available, it might be sooner rather than later, but we can't really know because we don't have much of the theory to make that judgment. The best thing we can do is hope it's possible. If it is possible, it's likely to become available before 2500.

ReputationRep:
    There's really an underestimation in this thread of how fast scientific progress is running. If they found a way to travel at warp speed, then the technology to transfer humans will likely be available within our lifetimes... even if it's when we're really old. Just imagine the thousands if not millions of scientist that would be excited at the discovery working individually to create something big together. Nowadays when everyone can become a scientist, we're not going to need to rely on a single person like Da-Vinci to spend their whole lives on developing something without help. We have teams of teams of very smart people with lifeimes of devotion.

ReputationRep:
    This is nowhere near the development of Alcubierre's drive. Aside from anything else there is a practical problem with it - once you reach the speed of light the interior and exterior surfaces of your warp bubble become isolated from each other, and there's no way to slow down, speed up or steer.

That said, if we can use the Casimir effect to create regions of negative energy density then there are other possibilities which could be viable, like Krasnikov tubes and wormholes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scorpion95)
    Just read this

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/warp-speed-...5.html#ChSRQNR

I think FTL travel would be a great achievement for mankind and would mean humanity will be one more step closer to star trek, star wars, mass effect becoming a reality. It is a shame though that I doubt that it will happen in our life time. If they pull it off it would be good to see what else technology wise will come about because of it

What are your thoughts on a warp drive and FTL travel?
    More weapons probably.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think it's great that we are looking to this technology and have potentially viable ideas.

When we consider that nuclear fusion will be available within decades, this along could get a probe to Alpha Centuari within my lifetime so when we consider that scientists are already attempting to produce anti-matter and that the pace of technological development is increasing exponentially it would not be surprising to me if we launched faster than light travel within my lifetime.

Even if we don't there seems to be a big disconnect between public knowledge and the whole space thing so lets remember some things...

1) We will be on Mars before 2025 (this even allows for some delay)

2) We could well be mining resources in space by 2030

3) We have already identified over 2000 planets, including one in our neigbouring star system

4) Current theories suggest that there are now suspected to be 17 billion rocky earth size planets with 20% of these in the habitable zones of stars (3.4 billion) - you'd have be a fool to think we are alone now. New and better space telescopes are going up this year and in 2017

5) Viable missions to explore the prospect of bacterial life on Europe or even Titan (which has the building blocks for RNA and DNA present) are likely to occur soon

Faster than light or not, we are no longer limited to exploring this one planet.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.