The Student Room Group

AQA AS Unit 1 French exam 21st May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by ambitious :)
present participle of gardir=gardant
stem=gard + present participle ending ant=gardant

oh my god exam mode made me put grandir because preposition + infinitive!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhh i am going to cry i forgot present particples even existed! I have been doing them since gcse i am actually going to cry why did i come on this forum omfg
Reply 361
Original post by Annaaa123
I was so glad when I saw there was an essay question on advantages and disadvantages of holidays! :smile:

Same, but I felt that I spoke very basic French because of exam pressure. Oh well, it's sufficient. Like i said, I used the idea of tourism THANKS to holidays (because that is generally a positive and a negative for holidays)
Original post by caisku
I did this paper today and I have two issues, in question 1 and 9.

QUESTION 1 A
des tensions or d'attention? seriously? if they are going to be strict about that then tbh they need to reconsider their strategies. the two both fit the context of why youths drink alcohol and with exam pressure, it is undoubtable that people will make the mistake of d'attention if it really was des tensions.

QUESTION 9 A
(the numbers and exact wordings are a guess because I cannot remember)
"1.1 de la familles sont decomposees, et plus que 2.2 sont ***"
right it was something along those lines, the first half of the sentence spoke about the families (fem) but the latter part which we were asked to ajust monoparental to refers to MILLIONS - MASCULINE? so i put "monoparentals" because millions is masculine plural. Was this right or should I have done "monoparentalles" for the families? even though in the part asked, the adjective was referring to the millions?

HELLLPPPPPP :frown:

I think it was 'monoparentales' because it was referring to familles which is a feminine noun

although I've had to re sit this twice so don't listen to me haha
Reply 363
Original post by caisku
oh my god exam mode made me put grandir because preposition + infinitive!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhh i am going to cry i forgot present particples even existed! I have been doing them since gcse i am actually going to cry why did i come on this forum omfg

It was the only error i made on my close test too. Don't worry. It's just a mark :O
Reply 364
Original post by danielcain-reed
I think it was 'monoparentales' because it was referring to familles which is a feminine noun

although I've had to re sit this twice so don't listen to me haha

yes but it was describing the millions which is a masculine noun so I assumed it would be that, but you're probably right because you have more experience:frown:
Reply 365
Original post by jelmes96
It was the only error i made on my close test too. Don't worry. It's just a mark :O

haha I'm hoping it was mine too! I was unsure about the monoparental at the start of the close because I wasn't sure if they wanted us to describe "millions"(m) or "familles"(f) I put it in masc. for millions because that's what it was talking about so meh I had 8/10 at the worst, which is pretty good I think. Just don't want to fail:frown:
Original post by randomstudent137
for the pouvoir one on the grammar section I'm pretty sure you can also have peuvent (because it was plural) because on all of the past papers this has been allowed, for example jan 2012 question 9 , can anyone confirm/unconfirm this??

It's normal French to use the present tense after a future time indicator, like 'le weekend prochain ils peuvent' or pourront :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 367
Original post by Morgenmuffel96
It's normal French to use the present tense after a future time indicator, like 'le weekend prochain ils peuvent' or pourront :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is true, even in English, we tend to say, especially with modal verbs, such as, "tomorrow, can you come with me to the shop?". (if that makes sense. Obviously it would sound better with the conditional or future)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by caisku
yes but it was describing the millions which is a masculine noun so I assumed it would be that, but you're probably right because you have more experience:frown:

But surely it's referring to the families which are single parent families rather than single parent millions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 369
Original post by Morgenmuffel96
But surely it's referring to the families which are single parent families rather than single parent millions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed... partly because that was my thought
Original post by caisku

QUESTION 1 A
des tensions or d'attention? seriously? if they are going to be strict about that then tbh they need to reconsider their strategies. the two both fit the context of why youths drink alcohol and with exam pressure, it is undoubtable that people will make the mistake of d'attention if it really was des tensions.

QUESTION 9 A
right it was something along those lines, the first half of the sentence spoke about the families (fem) but the latter part which we were asked to ajust monoparental to refers to MILLIONS - MASCULINE? so i put "monoparentals" because millions is masculine plural. Was this right or should I have done "monoparentalles" for the families? even though in the part asked, the adjective was referring to the millions?

Yes finally, someone else who put d'attention:P They sound the same!
Reply 371
Original post by babybunty97
Haha, I put that too... so I'm hoping they'll let us both off :wink:

ahaha yeah let's hope so! ;D
Reply 372
Original post by Pharaoh96
Yes finally, someone else who put d'attention:P They sound the same!

I put it too
Original post by sn96
Same D: Yeah, I'm sure I got the last one wrong though - for some reason I didn't pick up on the bit about them still dating...
Realised that I always think of the right thing in these exams but then end up putting the wrong answer down anyway because I think the other ones are too simple -.-
Ahh, good luck! I'm sure you'll have got it ^_^
Just wondering though, do you know what Uni's are like with retakes in general? I really didn't want to be retaking but now I feel like it's inevitable...

None of my unis were bothered with retakes! :smile:
I got a C, D and an E at as-level because I really
struggled with the jump between gcse and alevel
but I've applied to university's that want B's and my ucas
form showed I was retaking and I got offers from all of them! :smile:
Reply 374
I thought the exam was really hard compared to previous exams, I was getting A's or B's on everyone of them, but I think I would be struggling to get a B on this one. Hopefully the grade boundaries are low or I'll be resitting :s-smilie: haha
Reply 375
Weren't the Aids in Senegal question on the listening supposed to be answered in French?
Reply 376
Original post by caisku

QUESTION 1 A

QUESTION 9 A

I am 99% certain it was "monoparentales" feminine plural. I'd say I was 100% sure but I don't have the mark scheme so I can't vouch for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 377
Original post by rosh123
Weren't the Aids in Senegal question on the listening supposed to be answered in French?

Yes they were supposed to be answered in French

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 378
Unoffical markscheme anyone? And for qn on the listening, did you have to say 'failure' at school? Could it be anything else?
Reply 379
Would you guys say this exam was tricker compared to most past papers? Lets all hat hold hands and repeatedly chant 'please let it be low grade boundaries!'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending