Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I've been thinking for a few months now that i'd like to leave home for a year before going away to university in 2014.

I'm wondering if anyone has any useful information about taking a gap year to America.

The main thing i'm looking for is where's best to go and if anyone knows of any places that provide work for internationals. However, I'm completely unknowledgable of the steps that have to be taken to take a gap year abroad, so any information will be very much appreciated!

I'm hoping to study in America next year, and would really like to see the country and just a get a sense of living away from home (far far away from home)

Thanks very much, any information will be muchappreciated!

Finlay

ReputationRep:
    Generally to get an American Visa you need to be going to a British university when you return.

For a working visa Australia might be a better place to go.

But you seem to be like me and set on going to America so the things I've looked at are

1.Studying at an American high school
    2. Working at Disney for a year or the summer (3-4 months)
    3.Working at Universal in the summer (3-4 months)
    4. Working at an American Camp for summer (2-3 months)

You could always go traveling out there when you've finished/before you start

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.