Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...herts-22553341

A mother was given compensation by a Health Authority because they missed a diagnosis of Spina Bifida in her son

She bought a house and spent money making it suitable for her son

Apparently the money was meant to last until her son was 10, he died aged 6

So they are asking for the money back

I am in 2 minds ... the Health Authority will need the money ... but it is small potatoes for them really and could mean her losing her home

I dont know ... it just seems so very sad

ReputationRep:
    The money was given to her to care for her son, not to bankroll her for spending almost half a million quid on a massive house (and I mean massive, that amount of money could easily get you a luxury 5+ bedroom house in Bedford where she lives).

She is a single mother with no partner so god knows why she needed a house as big as that.

ReputationRep:
    A much more responsible thing to do would have been to buy a bungalow, considering her son would have likely been confined to a wheelchair, and she would have saved a significant amount of money. Personally I don't think she should've been awarded the money in the first place - doctors are entitled to make mistakes and you can't expect them to be 100% all the time; just because the doctors didn't detect a disease shouldn't mean she should get 3/4 of a million pound to last ten years (she would still be entitled to disability benefits and other government money as well)

ReputationRep:
    It annoys me because there's people out there who claim benefits or get a lump sum from the government for various reasons. Then they either spend it on something stupid or they don't even need it. Few get caught and few are demanded for the money back. Then there's this article about someone who has spent the money on making her disabled son comfortable in a lovely home. Then i think, why would anyone need so much money? Smaller house would be easier to maintain, easier for mobility and more affordable. Why didn't anyone plan the spending? Control the spending then you would be able to retain some of the costs. Just make her downsize and then get her to pay off the rest of the costs when she can.

ReputationRep:
    I completely understand she must be distraught because of her son's death and so she doesn't want to sell her house but the way she distributed her money was slightly extensive, I mean, that house could have housed a LOT more people and it was more than enough to care for her son. Although I empathise with the mother over her loss, it has to be said that she used the money given to her a bit recklessly.

Maybe they should find a different way to handle the situation whilst still offering help to her? I mean, taking back that much money isn't going to leave her with much is it? And I doubt the NHS is going to get very good publicity over this if they just continue demanding the money back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaggieKan)
    I completely understand she must be distraught because of her son's death and so she doesn't want to sell her house but the way she distributed her money was slightly extensive, I mean, that house could have housed a LOT more people and it was more than enough to care for her son. Although I empathise with the mother over her loss, it has to be said that she used the money given to her a bit recklessly.

Maybe they should find a different way to handle the situation whilst still offering help to her? I mean, taking back that much money isn't going to leave her with much is it? And I doubt the NHS is going to get very good publicity over this if they just continue demanding the money back.
    Yeah i completely agree. The house was way too big and probably could become a good social care home. The NHS have to play this right bit ruthless demanding their money back they need to come up with a solution that benefits both parties. She seems to completely understand that she has to pay it back so that does make the situation a lot easier.

ReputationRep:
    In the article she seems to be fairly reasonable about it - accepting that they should have a proportion of the money back, but worried about her future/security. It wouldn't surprise me if this was, for once, sorted out fairly amicably, with the NHS not being unreasonable in how quickly they take it back and allowing her time to sort out downsizing to a new house or similar.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.