Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys, im currently choosing my IB courses and my initial subjects are:

Math SL
    Arabic: Literature SL (I currently liva in amman,jordan)
    English: Language & Literature SL
    Biology HL
    Chemistry HL
    ITGS HL

So i literally cant sleep thinking of the "IB" and my choices.
    I have two problems, problems that really make me worry, the first is the english course... im not quite sure if im able to do the English A Lang & Lit with the Arabic A (I think i might be not qualified for the English A lang and lit even) so i might consider English B HL but im afraid i wont get accepted for medicine, Biomedical sciences in the UK
    My other problem/concernvis the ITGS HL, is it really hard to get a 7 at? i really want a high overall mark to get accepted for medicine!

THANK YOUUU ALLLL!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Never mind. Everything up here was wrong. P:
    Anyway, it’s probably a better idea to do a subject that you’re more likely to score highly in. If you’re more likely to do well in English B, I think that’s a better idea than trying to pursue English A and not scoring as highly. Medicine offers are usually really high.
    Just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    You can go for a bilingual diploma if both your Arabic and English are good enough for that (to take them both as A languages)...
    However, if your reason to choose English A is only so you can study in the UK and you're not likely to score very high on it, go for English B and get a really good mark there. Then you can take IELTS exam as your English language qualification for your university application (although they will probably reckognize IB English A or English B).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GarnetStone)
    I don’t think you can take both Arabic and English the way you’re planning. You have to have a subject from each of Groups 1-5, and your sixth subject can be from Groups 2-5 (yours seems to be another science), but Arabic Literature and English Language and Literature are both Group 1 subjects. I’m not sure you can take both unless you’re applying to complete an irregular diploma or something.
    Even if I’m wrong on that (which is entirely probable), it’s probably a better idea to do a subject that you’re more likely to score highly in. If you’re more likely to do well in English B, I think that’s a better idea than trying to pursue English A and not scoring as highly. Medicine offers are usually really high. Just my opinion.
    Incorrect. He can take Arabic as his second language. You can take two language and literature courses, there are no problems what so ever. Although, I'd take English B HL and drop ITGS to SL or take something like economics SL, as ITGS isn't very well respected, although at SL it should not be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calllu-m)
    Incorrect. He can take Arabic as his second language. You can take two language and literature courses, there are no problems what so ever. Although, I'd take English B HL and drop ITGS to SL or take something like economics SL, as ITGS isn't very well respected, although at SL it should not be a problem.
    Ah. Thanks for correcting me, then.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you allllll your answers were all helpful THANK YOU!

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely say that you should drop to English B (It'll both ensure a higher score and improve your English for medicine). As for ITGS, maybe you should try to replace it with another subject (as the previous repliers said, it isn't that respected). Something like Econ., Psyc. or ESS (if you're into science) would do a better job for you.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.