Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Me and my mate are thinking of hosting an indie night and doing the DJ'ing. Basicaly we are sick of clubs like 5th Ave pretending to me indie when Pulp's Common People is about as indie as it gets.

The question I am not sure how to go to about it, do you think the union would let us host it on of their bars on a quite week? We don't want to be paid (just soft drinks and maybe the taxi fare back) but I guess it just depends if they would take the risk of possibly emptying the venue.

Any ideas?

The basic principles of our club night is no scallies, no pop music, no dance (well maybe one of two dance tracks) basicaly it will be a proper student indie thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Me and my mate are thinking of hosting an indie night and doing the DJ'ing. Basicaly we are sick of clubs like 5th Ave pretending to me indie when Pulp's Common People is about as indie as it gets.

The question I am not sure how to go to about it, do you think the union would let us host it on of their bars on a quite week? We don't want to be paid (just soft drinks and maybe the taxi fare back) but I guess it just depends if they would take the risk of possibly emptying the venue.

Any ideas?

The basic principles of our club night is no scallies, no pop music, no dance (well maybe one of two dance tracks) basicaly it will be a proper student indie thing.
    yea i dj, but definitely not indie

ReputationRep:

Any ideas?

I tried DJing once and hurt my finger, just like DJ Shadow.
    Was anyone at DJ Shadows gig where his finger started bleeding? That was awesome.

ReputationRep:

Any ideas?

I was staying over at my friends house over Summer once and his brother was absentia from the household, the exact reason escapes me, but never mind. Anyway, he had some 'technics' which were apparently very expensive. We decided to have a little go, unfortunatly my friend knocked over a can of beer onto one of the decks. I was very fortunate apprarently not to be at his house when his brother returned. He also had a 'strobe' light which was much fun for about 20 minutes, it gave the impression like you moved in slow motion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    I was staying over at my friends house over Summer once and his brother was absentia from the household, the exact reason escapes me, but never mind. Anyway, he had some 'technics' which were apparently very expensive. We decided to have a little go, unfortunatly my friend knocked over a can of beer onto one of the decks. I was very fortunate apprarently not to be at his house when his brother returned. He also had a 'strobe' light which was much fun for about 20 minutes, it gave the impression like you moved in slow motion.
    technics are good, but i have numark ttx1s - much better imo

ReputationRep:
    DJ'ing has anybody ever done it?
    Rational thought has anybody ever done it?

ReputationRep:
    I know that here you can hire out the 'Hive' which is an area in the union house that is a cafe during the day, with a licenced bar, but the tables can all be moved out to create a big dance floor area. My friends had a birthday party there and its free to use, only they had to make £250 at the bar (and would have to pay back the difference if they didn't) and pay £40 for security on the door. Because there was 4 of them, they only had to pay a tenner each, and because they do different subjects they had loads of people there and made the bar money pretty easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Rational thought has anybody ever done it?
    Mr White in da club!

ReputationRep:
    Well I haven't DJ-ed per se, although a mate of mine is very good, dance stuff mostly, a bit of RnB.

But I was at a NYE party and I played on the desks for a bit... drunkenly ignoring the shouts of the guys saying I couldn't do it... I could, not as good as the guy who owned the decks, but better than most of the guys there... the only other girl there let the side down after giving up not finding the on button....

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.