Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

Hello all. I am very confused in choosing where to study : Heriot-Watt, Aberdeen or Robert Gordon Uni.

If people who studied there for the same MSc please state it in your answer and support it, because all I ever find is that HW>Aberdeen>RGU, cause of the guardian listing. Which IMO is silly.

All 3 of them are highly respected in the O&G sector?
    The modules of each uni are a bit different to one another but still u end up with the same knowledge and can work in same position more or less, no matter where u studied?
    What would you say are the biggest differences between these unis for this MSc?
    All 3 unis got important companies visiting for career day?

Thank you
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ChristosK)
    All 3 of them are highly respected in the O&G sector?
    Yes.

The modules of each uni are a bit different to one another but still u end up with the same knowledge and can work in same position more or less, no matter where u studied?
    What would you say are the biggest differences between these unis for this MSc?
    The biggest difference is the difference between Oil & Gas Engineering and Petroleum Engineering. PE is a very niche area in the industry, whereas O&G engineering will help prepare you for just about any engineering position (included petroleum, but it's probably much easier to get into that with a PE MSc).

I would advise you to do some more research about where you want to go in the industry, as that will help greatly when it comes to selecting the right MSc.

All 3 unis got important companies visiting for career day?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to work n the upstream sector preferably, I don't know if i will change my mind during my studies, plus i like travelling.
    Since oil and gas engineering includes petroleum and other sectors, will I be considered the same as a MSc PE engineer?
    I have done research but there is nothing definitive between O&G engineering and PE Engineering. Seems alike but probably it's not. From your experience, if you have, can you give me some more details on to what to expect when I finish either MSc program?

ReputationRep:
    hi all,
    I am a colombian PE and planning to apply to a Msc in oil and gas eng in U. Aberdeen, i want to know about your experiences during the msc and after finishing it, the opportunities there and how easy is to get a job. your comments and advice would be very helpful.

thank you!!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.