Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone feel this term is too over used especially with retail jobs.

I know this might be seen as rude but it's not the hardest job to learn to do. It's a tough job - many people work very long, dull and strenuous shifts - but what I don't get is the need to have specific experience.

I think the actual job is hard to do but not to learn.

Does anyone agree?

ReputationRep:
    it not a hard job, not really. But a lot of companies are trying to save costs and time and more training is needed to those who lack experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BANS2012)
    it not a hard job, not really. But a lot of companies are trying to save costs and time and more training is needed to those who lack experience.
    I'd never even considered that argument...

ReputationRep:
    This.

ReputationRep:
    especially in this economy atm. better to just employ the ones who need as little training as possible

ReputationRep:
    tbh no some jobs you can learn on the spot sort of thing or by a shadow shift, but they like to say experience to save themselves the hassle of first timers and to sound abit better and filter out those who have no experience.
    when I applied for my first job they all asked for experience, I was 16, what experience was I going to have apart from work experience in yr 11?! the job I wanted said, you have to start from somewhere and after one shadow shift, I was running a cafe on my own every sunday, so yeah I'm glad kumon and asda rejected me, especially with their minimum wage pay

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I can see asking for some sort of work experience or volunteering to prove general reliability. That's more than fair enough, the specificity is unfair

ReputationRep:
    Tell that for those cleaning jobs where they ask for experience.. Actually, you don't even need experience to stack shelves in a shop, everyone knows stock rotation procedures that products with shorter duration are placed in front and with longer at the back. Also, we all know how to press buttons on a cash register
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Runninghigh)
    Does anyone feel this term is too over used especially with retail jobs.

I know this might be seen as rude but it's not the hardest job to learn to do. It's a tough job - many people work very long, dull and strenuous shifts - but what I don't get is the need to have specific experience.

I think the actual job is hard to do but not to learn.

Does anyone agree?

The point is that people usually assume it means 'work experience' and usually it doesn't, especially for entry level jobs. You stand just as much chance if you can demonstrate the right skills, such as customer service, good time keeping, hard work, reliability etc transferred from other aspects of your life.

In fact, people who are using transferable skills to create a CV or application often make a much stronger and more convincing job of it, than people who have direct experience. People with direct experience often fall into the trap of just describing the job, and often pretty superficially at that. People who have to put a bit more thought into the skills required, and thinking up matching evidence often produce applications that make it clear they have thought quite hard about what the job requires and how they could do it.

ReputationRep:
    I recently saw a vacancy for a shop - they said it was essential for candidates to have two years work experience in retail. Alright, they'll save on training costs by employing someone with a bit of experience but two years is a bit excessive - it's working in a shop, it's not exactly rocket science.

ReputationRep:
    I work at Sports Direct (been there for 7 months now).
    When I went in for the interview, they did ask if I had any retail experience and I said no, but then they said they would train me up !
    But I can see where you are coming from, it is frustrating trying to get a job these days.

ReputationRep:
    They often ask for experience in a job where you don't actually really need it in order to check that you know what you are letting yourself in for. Take jobs with really high turnover e.g. outbound call centre sales. People who have done this know how tough it is to have 99 out of every 100 people tell you to "take a hike". So if you did it for two years in the past, and are willing to do it again, there's a good chance you'll last a while. Most people trying it for the first time last a couple of weeks.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.