Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Honestly terrified I'll never get a good job because I'm deaf Watch

Hi there,

I've been worrying for a good year or two that when I finish university, I'm going to get turned down for a job because of my hearing loss and I can't seem to shake off the fear that I'll end up in a dead-end job. Would really love some advice/motivation.

I have a degree in English from a top 10 uni and I'm just about to finish a Masters in Media and PR. I wouldn't say I'm completely deaf as I don't need sign language (not deaf enough to need BSL), I can normally have conversations fine as long as I can see your face and I speak clearly and fluently. I guess I'm hard of hearing rather than deaf, but because I was born with a hearing loss, it just seems more apt to say that I'm deaf. But the fact is, I have a hearing loss.

I once had an interview for an internship and she really liked me but turned me down because I would struggle to use the phone. So, that knocked me for six.... and increased my worrying ten-fold.

I've got work experience working in customer service and I finally managed to get an internship working in marketing and I've got my driving licence, so I've improved my employability a bit, but don't know if it's enough.

But a lot of the advertising of Media/Marketing/PR jobs typically require some kind of telephone duties etc.... so I'm quite scared I've been studying/getting experience in the wrong industry.

Can anybody provide some advice? Anything to help me? xxx

ReputationRep:
    I work at a supermarket, one of my colleagues is very deaf. He has hearing aids but won't hear you unless your a facing him and speak very loudly and clearly. It effects his speech, but you can understand him if you listen carefully. (perhaps if you didn't know him you might find it harder).

He's a 'runner' so answers a phone (which on silent, vibrates), has to communicate with colleagues and customers, and he does tanoy announcements- sure they aren't clear like mine might be, but they are understandable.

I know it's only a supermarket job, but communication is key. I'd imagine its hard for him, but he can, and does do it.

I don't know your situation, but just thought I'd share that as encouragement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

But a lot of the advertising of Media/Marketing/PR jobs typically require some kind of telephone duties etc.... so I'm quite scared I've been studying/getting experience in the wrong industry.

Can anybody provide some advice? Anything to help me? xxx

Since this question is so deaf-centric, you might be better off trying to find a hard of hearing/deaf forum. The majority of the people here probably won't have the experience to answer your question. But a board with deaf/hard of hearing contributors might have more applicable insight. Somewhere like http://www.alldeaf.com/ perhaps?

I know someone who is hard of hearing and she's a legal secretary. I've never thought to ask her how she gets by with phone usage, but she's working in a practice and doing well. I know this is a different industry to you, but she is an example of how you can succeed in the work place if you have hearing problems.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe talk about your hearing loss at interviews etc, to explain what you can and can't do and how things can be adapted for you. This will also let them know it's not a taboo subject and they can talk to you if they need to about it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.