Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got two interviews very close together in the upcoming days, on saturday I have one for Marks in store cafe and on monday I have one for Waitrose for an online shopper position.

I don't want to count my chickens, but I feel like I have a reasonable chance of getting either job. I think I have more chance with the M&S cafe as I have previous experience making coffee but to be honest I fancy working for Waitrose a lot more

Not sure about they pay, I think Waitrose offers 6.40 and Marks cafe... not sure if it was advertised. Any ideas how much would M&S pay for the cafe role?

Also, if give both choices, what job would you rather go for? Discuss pls!

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for Waitrose for the benefits alone. Don't get me wrong M&S is still a good place to work, but Waitrose trumps it IMO.

I think it's good to be confident, but gaining a job a either is harder then you may think.

ReputationRep:
    Waitrose benefits are amazing, I hear. It's all that "every employee is an owner" that you hear from the John Lewis ads.

But don't get too excited just yet

ReputationRep:
    The Waitrose uniform is classy, the M&S one is boring, I'm tired of wearing black head to toe. Plus, they wear a floppy hat in the cafe =/ not too keen about it.

It's always the little things

gaining a job a either is harder then you may think.
    Why you say that? Do they really put you through that many hoops and loops? The people from the cafe didn't seem all that special, the coffee they served me (I popped in to check it out a last weekend) was pretty crap as well so not very high standards there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panzer Division)
    The Waitrose uniform is classy, the M&S one is boring, I'm tired of wearing black head to toe. Plus, they wear a floppy hat in the cafe =/ not too keen about it.

It's always the little things

Why you say that? Do they really put you through that many hoops and loops? The people from the cafe didn't seem all that special, the coffee they served me (I popped in to check it out a last weekend) was pretty crap as well so not very high standards there...
    Not so much hoops and loops. For Waitrose it's a bog standard online application, group interview and further one-to-one interview.

The reason why I say it's harder then you think is because it is so competitive. There are so many people going head to head for these low skilled jobs.

It does not matter if your fresh out of school or a former HR Manager, you will all be treated at the same standard and thus you must shine at your group interview to even stand a chance.

For my store there was 600 applicants for 2 positions and of that 600, 80 were invited to the groupies and 6 were invited to the one-to-ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kudos2u)

The reason why I say it's harder then you think is because it is so competitive. There are so many people going head to head for these low skilled jobs.

For my store there was 600 applicants for 2 positions and of that 600, 80 were invited to the groupies and 6 were invited to the one-to-ones.
    Thanks for the info. BTW, do you work for Waitrose or Marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panzer Division)
    Thanks for the info. BTW, do you work for Waitrose or Marks?
    I have worked at Waitrose in the past before university. I'm currently going through the application process again for both companies now that I am at university in a different city.

I got through from the Waitrose group interview again and I'm waiting to hear from HR about my M&S interview. The hours for the M&S role is going to be a killer if I get offered it. 6am starts *shudder*.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck hope you get the job you're looking for! The 6AM start really does suck though -__-

ReputationRep:
    Ok so, I've been to the M&S Cafe interview today. The whole "hundreds of people" going head to head for these jobs did not apply in this case at all.

There were three slots of interviews and I was the only person that turned up for the first two so not too much of a group interview, I was there on my own.

The whole process lasted about 2 hours but it went quite quickly. In the end, they offered me the job on the spot and I took it

ReputationRep:
    BTW, I got more hours than the ones I applied for online. On the website they advertised for 20-30 hours but the contract they've offered me is 35 plus extra hours if I want to take them =)

ReputationRep:
    M&S pays more and is better in my opinion. Also most M&S stores are really busy. My local Waitrose is always empty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by breedrummond)
    M&S pays more (
    That's why I didn't go to the Waitrose interview, they did state the salary along with the vacancy and it was £6.42 or so.

Marks offers £6.52 to start with and £6.94 or so once you've been trained, whatever that means. That's for the same sort of customer assistant position. So a pretty decent deal, taking into account even places like the Hilton only offers min wage for a bartender/ waitressing job what a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    However, Waitrose pay £10 an hour on Sundays.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.