Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    M163 - International Action on Syria, TSR Green PartyThis house is alarmed at the possibility that chemical weapons may have been deployed by the Syrian Government, calls upon the international community to exert targeted diplomatic and economic pressure on the Syrian Government in order to ensure that it does not use these weapons in future, calls upon the MHoC Government to maintain comprehensive and long lasting scrutiny of the Syrian Government's actions, calls upon the MHoC Government to see that effective protocols are in place for the swift evacuation of any remaining British nationals in Syria and calls upon the MHoC Governemnt to categorically rule out any military intervention in Syria.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    We need to strengthen the UN and have a diplomatic approach to Syria.

Britain should not get involved with any intervention or military action - both sides in the Syrian conflict have committed crimes against humanity and neither side deserves our support.

ReputationRep:
    I'm with Birchington, I see conflict resolution through other methods - Abstain.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Mr Speaker, i congratulate the Green Party on a well thought out motion and largely agree in regards to my concern at the situation in Syria and the potential use of chemical weapons. Mr Speaker, while i assure the House that we are doing all that we can to pressure the tyrannical regime i cannot rule out military action categorically and personally i actually support such action even if unlikely to occur. Mr Speaker, i am sure the Foreign Secretary will make a more detailed assessment of the Syrian situation and our response once he comes back to the House from his current fact finding mission in the Cayman Islands.

(In this case the Cayman Islands could also mean completing exams)

Mr Speaker i will be abstaining on this vote however if the Green Party were to remove the commitment not to engage in military action then i would be prepared to vote Aye.

ReputationRep:
    Well then otherwise how would you use your nukes?!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Aye.

ReputationRep:
    I will join with the rest of the house in condemning the use of chemical weapons by the Assad government in Syria, and also agree with the calls for increased international pressure upon the Assad regime.

However, I do not feel that the MHoC ought to stand idly by whilst the Syrian govenrment continues to massacre its people. We cannot, in my opinion, fully rule out any military intervention at this time.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Well then otherwise how would you use your nukes?!
    Nooo. The nukes are just there to look pretty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    And waste a bucketload of our money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Haha. Anyway I'm afraid the move towards no military intervention is non-negotiable so I suspect you will end up voting against this. However, we'll take other comments under consideration before sending this to the vote (or potential second reading).

ReputationRep:
    Haha. Anyway I'm afraid the move towards no military intervention is non-negotiable so I suspect you will end up voting against this. However, we'll take other comments under consideration before sending this to the vote (or potential second reading).
    I suppose the Tories (and the Liberals, too) could airdrop thousands of copies of The Seven Pillars of Wisdom along with a massive apology for basically carving up the middle east into unsustainable, ethnically riven states. A century, very nearly, on from that particular coup de fart, we're stuck with the consequences.

I agree with the Greens entirely regarding military intervention and shall vote accordingly in the division lobby. Too often have we meddled in the affairs of others, to the detriment of others, and I think we should stop. At some point, the rest of the world has to grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi)
    I suppose the Tories (and the Liberals, too) could airdrop thousands of copies of The Seven Pillars of Wisdom along with a massive apology for basically carving up the middle east into unsustainable, ethnically riven states. A century, very nearly, on from that particular coup de fart, we're stuck with the consequences.

I agree with the Greens entirely regarding military intervention and shall vote accordingly in the division lobby. Too often have we meddled in the affairs of others, to the detriment of others, and I think we should stop. At some point, the rest of the world has to grow up.
    *brofist*

ReputationRep:
    As a more general question, perhaps, I'm always unsure on how "diplomatic and economic pressure" works to be honest. Surely, placing an economic embargo, for instance, isn't really going to achieve much other than adversely affect the Syrian people, rather than the regime in power? (I may be wrong here, but I'm trying to understand what the arguments in favour actually are.)

ReputationRep:
    *brofist*
    Unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    Military intervention should not be ruled out, the UN are about as useless as a wet sock right now. Russia will keep on supporting Assad regardless of diplomatic and economic action. The security council will also get nowhere because of Russia and China's opposition to the West getting involved.

Whilst I do not support ground forces intervening, we must up the ante when it comes to preventing the Assad regime from launching military and chemical attacks on the civilian population.

Nay from me, although I obviously condemn any chemical weapon usage by Syria.

ReputationRep:
    Military intervention at this point in time should not be considered. At this point in time we have no definitive proof which side used chemical weapons, it is just as likely rebels used the sarin to vilify the existing government as it is that Al-assad intentionally used it against rebels.

Furthermore there is no reason to exacerbate the existing problems without the full backing of the UN, the last thing we want is another Iraq where individual countries invade without international support. It was also recently reported that Russia supplies Syria with modern weapons and it would be much easier to start with a diplomatic approach to the problem than with pure military intervention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donniee)
    Military intervention at this point in time should not be considered. At this point in time we have no definitive proof which side used chemical weapons, it is just as likely rebels used the sarin to vilify the existing government as it is that Al-assad intentionally used it against rebels.

Furthermore there is no reason to exacerbate the existing problems without the full backing of the UN, the last thing we want is another Iraq where individual countries invade without international support. It was also recently reported that Russia supplies Syria with modern weapons and it would be much easier to start with a diplomatic approach to the problem than with pure military intervention.
    Welcome to the HoC!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donniee)

Welcome to the MHoC

Whilst I agree that, at this time, we should not be getting ready for immediate military intervention, do you not think that, if it is proven that chemical weapons were used by either side, we should intervene?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    As a more general question, perhaps, I'm always unsure on how "diplomatic and economic pressure" works to be honest. Surely, placing an economic embargo, for instance, isn't really going to achieve much other than adversely affect the Syrian people, rather than the regime in power? (I may be wrong here, but I'm trying to understand what the arguments in favour actually are.)
    Woops, forgot about this, sorry!

There is this worry. Any action taken has to be done in a way that maximises effect on the authorities but minimises the effect on the Syrian population. This is a fairly hard thing to achieve. You do things like ban non essential trade with the country, for example. Freeze the assets of central government individuals if they're found to be complicit in using these weapons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwertish)
    Welcome to the MHoC

Whilst I agree that, at this time, we should not be getting ready for immediate military intervention, do you not think that, if it is proven that chemical weapons were used by either side, we should intervene?
    Thanks guys!

I do agree that we should intervene, but only as a last resort and with the full backing of organisations such as UN. How would you intervene in the crisis currently?

I struggle to see how we could bring anything to the table by sending in a military force that is not there to bring an end to the civil war, take a look at how well the Yugoslav peacekeepers did during the civil war there.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 23, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.