Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Not sure if I've went about this the right way?

The question asks:

An alphabet consists of the letters A, B, C, D. For transmission each letter is coded into a sequence of two binary (on-off) pulses. The A is represented by 00, the B by 01, the C by 10 and the D by 11. Each individual pulse interval is 5 msec.

(i) Calculate the average rate of transmission of information if the different letters are equally likely to occur.

(ii) The probability of occurrence of each letter is respectively P(A) = 1/5, P(B) = ¼, P(C) = ¼, P(D) = 3/10. Find the average rate of transmission of information in bits per second.

My answer is:
    (i) \frac{1}{T} * \log_2 (\frac{1}{P}) = \frac{1}{0.005} * \log_2 (2) = 200 bits/sec

(ii)\frac{1}{T} * \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^M P_i log_2  (P_i) =  \frac{1}{0.01} * \left[\frac{1}{5}\log_2 (5) + \frac{1}{4}\log_2 (4) +  \frac{1}{4}\log_2 (4) + \frac{3}{10}\log_2 (\frac{10}{3})\right] = 198.5  bits/sec

Are those the right answers and is my method correct?
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.