Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm not from the UK but live here now. Which is why I am curious of how you do things here.

I am wondering
    - do you usually write to say "thanks" for a nice evening after you've met someone, maybe particularly if it's someone who's invited you to their home?
    - do you do so by email/post/facebook message/text?
    - if you receive a fb message from someone who visited your place and they're foreign, will you be more "lenient" in terms of mistakes/misinterpretations? (I just sent a thank you message and am now thinking I phrased it weirdly).

- if you received a message which was untraditional in terms of being very friendly or by post (thank you card) rather than an sms, would yo just consider it sweet, or weird?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm not from the UK but live here now. Which is why I am curious of how you do things here.

I am wondering
    - do you usually write to say "thanks" for a nice evening after you've met someone, maybe particularly if it's someone who's invited you to their home?
    - do you do so by email/post/facebook message/text?
    - if you receive a fb message from someone who visited your place and they're foreign, will you be more "lenient" in terms of mistakes/misinterpretations? (I just sent a thank you message and am now thinking I phrased it weirdly).

- if you received a message which was untraditional in terms of being very friendly or by post (thank you card) rather than an sms, would yo just consider it sweet, or weird?
    Your English is fine first off, and I don't think anything of the wording if it's not someone's first language. But from your post I don't think you need to worry about English...

Yes it is polite to thank them, obviously, but is usually said in person at the time. And perhaps the next day or later you could mention it again.

Regarding how you do it... Generally nobody would use post in this situation (or indeed most situations now). I think people might find that a bit unusual. But I'd not find it weird as such, though I'd probably wonder if that was the custom where you were from...

Regarding best way to say thanks, it depends on the person. I personally rank communication in ascending order of significance probably as: Facebook, email, text.

Though I think I'm unusual in preferring email, and I'd suggest people either use text or Facebook. I just don't really like Facebook so prefer email.

But really it depends on the person or situation. Text is, or at least was, a little bit more close than the others as you wouldn't give your number out to anyone, but obviously times are changing and people often put their number into Facebook.

This isn't really that helpful I guess, as the answer is "it depends". I'd avoid post completely though, and suggest most people don't use email as much for talking to friends. But this varies...

Finally, I would think the card is nice... Albeit different... But I wouldn't say it was weird personally.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.