Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Computer has died. Running scanner (5 hours so far). Got error message involving BROCHO8A.dll missing pile asking for driver disc. Not resolved whe given driver disc. I HATE technology

ReputationRep:
    Can't you just re-install windows? Do you have important data backed up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beepbeeprichie)
    Can't you just re-install windows? Do you have important data backed up?
    Are you mad? I am a girl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CRIKEY12)
    Are you mad? I am a girl
    Sure as hell easier than messing around with some scanner. How exactly is it broken?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beepbeeprichie)
    Sure as hell easier than messing around with some scanner. How exactly is it broken?
    This Dll file is to do with the printer that died. I have had to email work to colllege to print. It could have come with malwear. bloke who usually comes to fixit hasn't been for ages. We are really bad at housekeeping on the comp, so it all gets a bit muddled. Everyone has their own space, but it is part of the home network and very well used. Everyone is screaming at me to fixit, but I have no idea what to do with it. Online search provided a few answers. One was definitely do not download a patch to fixit.
    I tried a system restore, but it refused to do this! I thin the bloke must come, but there is no time between now and exams to get him in.
    Ho hum

ReputationRep:
    Computer has died. Running scanner (5 hours so far). Got error message involving BROCHO8A.dll missing pile asking for driver disc. Not resolved whe given driver disc. I HATE technology
    What do you mean by 'died'? Clearly it's booted up if you're running a scanner.

What kind of scanner are you running? Virus? Disk checker?

Are you mad? I am a girl
    We all start somewhere

(if it's any consolation, I'm not a big fan of technology either)

ReputationRep:
    Scanner make and model please. Running a search on the dll doesn't return any results (apart from this thread lol). Are you sure that's what it's called?

ReputationRep:
    Are you mad? I am a girl
    That is no excuse?

ReputationRep:
    Complete backup now done. Problem with Windows\system32\spool\PRINTERS

This is where it crashed before. I have deleted and rebooted new software for Brother colour printer. Twice. It randomly causes a bluescreen crash and loses data.

Major scan showed up a trojan horse- maybe the root of problem. Will limp along until after the exams then ask for computer geek to see what can be done.
    NB it turns out that BROCH0A.DLL is computer snip for the Brother colour printer

ReputationRep:
    NNB the scanner was Microsoft, available on website and free. Valid use for 10 days only after which time one would have to download the newer version that would too be valid for 10 days.
    Thanks you for all your kind words. I do just see red/failure when I consider how inept I am at the whole computer thing

ReputationRep:
    NNB the scanner was Microsoft, available on website and free. Valid use for 10 days only after which time one would have to download the newer version that would too be valid for 10 days.
    Thanks you for all your kind words. I do just see red/failure when I consider how inept I am at the whole computer thing
    I wouldn't view it that way. You've managed to fix a workaround. That's half of the problem solved. Now you just need a permanent solution. Delete source of the trojan horse. Strange it would label the scanner as a DLL. Have you tried deleting this file when reinstalling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANARCHY__)
    I wouldn't view it that way. You've managed to fix a workaround. That's half of the problem solved. Now you just need a permanent solution. Delete source of the trojan horse. Strange it would label the scanner as a DLL. Have you tried deleting this file when reinstalling?
    Love it. "I'm not quite sure what's going on, but try deleting this file that's been mentioned in an error message."

On another note, not sure they said the scanner was actually pointing at the DLL as being a trojan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANARCHY__)
    I would like to permanantly delete the helpful souls from whom the trojn horses and the like emanate.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to permanantly delete the helpful souls from whom the trojn horses and the like emanate.
    Wouldn't we all :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    Love it. "I'm not quite sure what's going on, but try deleting this file that's been mentioned in an error message."

On another note, not sure they said the scanner was actually pointing at the DLL as being a trojan?
    Fair point. Alternatively just make a copy of the file and delete/move it from its current location. No harm done?

ReputationRep:
    It turns out that this file, essential to make the printer work, was identified by my Virus catcher as a Trojan horse. A lovely man came and for the price of a nice meal, he sorted out my problem!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 7, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.