Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

I'm currently in Year 11 and I made my IB choices in December.

I'm taking;

HL - Economics, Information Technology and Chemistry (in the process of switching)

SL - English Lit, Maths and German Lang B.

I was wondering if ITGS was a respected subject, as I wish to study Economics, Financial Law and/or Information Systems at university. I've been told by my teachers that it's quite a good course, and it interests me. Furthermore, the universities I wish to apply to have no restriction or "soft subjects".

Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    HL Economics and HL Chemistry are indeed very academic and well-respected subjects, but I personally have reservations about ITGS. It's a fairly new subject and may not be well-recognised by admission tutors. ITGS isn't really a prerequisite for anything at university, so you may be wasting an HL in a subject that might not pay off in the future, since HLs are so much work.

To be on the safe side I'd put that as SL, and since you said you wanted to study Economics at university, I'd recommend changing to Maths HL, especially if you're applying to a competitive uni in the UK like LSE.

However with that said your subject choice should still depend on your strength and passion. You may find ITGS very interesting and do much better in it than Maths HL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicholasflamel)
    HL Economics and HL Chemistry are indeed very academic and well-respected subjects, but I personally have reservations about ITGS. It's a fairly new subject and may not be well-recognised by admission tutors. ITGS isn't really a prerequisite for anything at university, so you may be wasting an HL in a subject that might not pay off in the future, since HLs are so much work.

To be on the safe side I'd put that as SL, and since you said you wanted to study Economics at university, I'd recommend changing to Maths HL, especially if you're applying to a competitive uni in the UK like LSE.

However with that said your subject choice should still depend on your strength and passion. You may find ITGS very interesting and do much better in it than Maths HL.
    Well I debated about taking Maths HL, but all of the UK universities that I wish to apply to require a 7 in HL Maths, and I talked to my teacher about it, and she said that I could get a 7 in HL Maths provided my other HLs aren't too challenging. So I've decided to trade off HL Maths to SL Maths, and apply to more local/US universities. Thank you for your help, though! ^_^

ReputationRep:
    Nice subjects,

I'm taking HL: Biology, Chemistry and Economics
    SL: French, English and Maths

I'm really good at Maths, but the difficulty of the subjects has made me opt for SL, as my teachers say for me it's going to be very easy for me to get a 7 at SL. I'm jjust wondering is it imperative to have Biology if you want to study medicine at Oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by king_revision)
    Nice subjects,

I'm taking HL: Biology, Chemistry and Economics
    SL: French, English and Maths

I'm really good at Maths, but the difficulty of the subjects has made me opt for SL, as my teachers say for me it's going to be very easy for me to get a 7 at SL. I'm jjust wondering is it imperative to have Biology if you want to study medicine at Oxbridge?
    From what I've heard, Chem is necessary for and Bio is too (got this information from people at school).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.