Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm from a competitive private high school in Chicago and I applied to Oxford (St Peter's College) for law. I got a skype interview but I was subsequently rejected.

I am 1000000000000000% sure I want to do law but the only option I have now in the US is Mount Holyoke College (got rejected or waitlisted by other schools or other schools didn't offer me enough financial aid). I'm not keen on going through the US education system because I'd have to go through undergraduate school and then apply again for grad school which is a pain in the neck. Also, Oxford is amazing. Plus my education is actually sponsored by my English grandparents (from my mum's side), who think that Oxford is the only English school they are willing to pay for me to go to. I have no choice over that matter. It's not ideal, but I have to work within my constraints.

So my question is: will Oxford colleges consider my application if I enrol at Mount Holyoke first and then reapply? I tried searching the website and I couldn't find any indication that reapplicants who've matriculated at an international university are forbidden from reapplying. I was rejected from St Peter's because the interviewers felt that I was not calm and confident during interview and I rushed too quickly into answers, according to my guidance counselor.

Before I start at Mount Holyoke, I will have completed 2-3 law internships in Chicago, been a teaching assistant for literature in a high school for primarily underprivileged kids, and put on dance performances. I'll also have some competence in Italian, which I'm learning at a beginner level. And of course I'll be reading as many law books as possible. So I think my gap year will be spent in a fulfilling manner which I believe should be acceptable to Oxford.

Thanks in advance for the help!

- Desperate American Girl

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure re-applicants are welcome to apply again, although the typical advice is not to apply to the same college (eg http://www.merton.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ug_app_faq.shtml). If you want to be sure that it's allowed, write to the Admissions Officers at the Colleges you're considering applying to, explain your situation and ask if it's okay to reapply.

I'm just slightly concerned about whether the Oxford Law BA will qualify you to practise in the States (obviously, if you plan on staying in the UK or you don't intend to practise then it's absolutely fine). In the US, you rightly point out the relevant qualification is a (post-grad) JD, and it's worth checking whether you'd be allowed to take the Bar Exam and if so, in which States.

Good luck!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.