Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any insight on which degree offers more hands on work. Pros and Cons etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Owenv8)
    Any insight on which degree offers more hands on work. Pros and Cons etc.
    I've just completed the first year of contemporary media practice. I've also heard a couple things from those studying Film & television.

F&T on average do 10 essays per year, we do 3 (in the first year) plus smaller write ups. F&T on average make 2 practical projects, while we've done around 5 visual projects and smaller projects such as building apps for iphone/android plus made short films, visual essays, taken pictures etc (depending on the option modules you take)

With F&T you will only learn film and television related things. On CMP we learn many different mediums of media, such as animation and you get to experiment a lot with building installations that combine visual work with adobe flash (if that's what you want to do). For example in my second semester I made a short horror film for one module, wrote a short film script for another module and built an interactive installation where a person could move the on screen mouse with the motion of their hand to select what film they've like to watch on the rear projected tv we built from scratch (with a hacked xbox kinect lol).

I personally want to be a film writer and director, but I've been having fun exploring other options.

The tutors clearly state that CMP is the most practical media course they have which incorporates many different aspects of media.

Hope that gives you a little more insight :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, very helpful. I know you said you have just completed your first year in CMP, but do you know if students can select a focus or concentration in the 2nd or 3rd year? Rather than just continuing to study all of the areas you mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Owenv8)
    Thanks, very helpful. I know you said you have just completed your first year in CMP, but do you know if students can select a focus or concentration in the 2nd or 3rd year? Rather than just continuing to study all of the areas you mentioned.
    Hi sorry for the late reply. Well from the first year you can pick a focus, as they have option modules in the 1st and 2nd semester. So overall I picked expanding media, experimental film and movie image as option modules throughout the year, while others picked photography and animation, as I'm into filmmaking. They encourage you to pick things you just would like to try out, while some did some picked things they knew they were interested in. In years 2 and 3, you start to choose your discipline, again I'll be doing film or moving image related modules

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.