Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So currently, I have places in both Esher and Richmond. And while I've heard good things about Esher - mostly from adults, I've heard not so good things and it doesn't seem to be the place for me. I'm not middle class, and I'll probably be the only black person around. My temper for childishness is becoming shorter and shorter.

However, my predicted grades were 7 As and 3A*s, by the looks of it, I might come out in august with 3Bs, 5As and 3A*s which also isn't bad. But the most important aspect of either college is the Art.

I was seriously impressed by the art in Richmond, and I've yet to see any in Esher.

Is there anyone who goes to either colleges who could give me some feedback on what the attitude and experiences are like? I'm sure there's lovely people at both schools.

But it's a bit of a trek for me to get there, so I'd like to choose wisely.

-RB

ReputationRep:
    Barely anyone on these forums goes to these colleges since most don't even live anywhere them. So, you'll be lucky to get a response. I've not gone to either of them but I think Esher is much better. You say that:

My temper for childishness is becoming shorter and shorter
    I assume that you want to go to a place that you can work without any distractions. In that case, Esher is going to be better for you. Even when you're being toured around, you can tell this.

Of course, Richmond would be better for some courses, like the IB which Esher does not offer. So, in the end it depends on which subjects you're doing and your own opinion. But, as I said, my recommendation is Esher. Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I figured that, but it was worth a shot asking here.
    The subjects I intend to take are Art, English Literature, Philosophy and Psychology. The difference between the choices is which offers better art options;

Even then I'd still need to choose Art and Design or Fine Art.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rehabb)
    Yeah, I figured that, but it was worth a shot asking here.
    The subjects I intend to take are Art, English Literature, Philosophy and Psychology. The difference between the choices is which offers better art options;

Even then I'd still need to choose Art and Design or Fine Art.
    I'm not sure which one is better for Art but for the other subjects Esher would be your best bet. I know people who have gone to both but Esher seems to be better from what I hear.

Richmond seems more for people who aren't really interested in work and have to stay in the education system. Obviously, there are some exceptions and you can do well anywhere if you're motivated. But, I would go to Esher as I said.

What are your predicted grades, out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantaˌ)
    I'm not sure which one is better for Art but for the other subjects Esher would be your best bet. I know people who have gone to both but Esher seems to be better from what I hear.

Richmond seems more for people who aren't really interested in work and have to stay in the education system. Obviously, there are some exceptions and you can do well anywhere if you're motivated. But, I would go to Esher as I said.

What are your predicted grades, out of interest?
    It's mentioned in my OP!

The B's would be for Core and Additional science, seeing as I only need roughly 40UMS to get B's, but 88-93 UMS to get an A overall.
    A* in a physic's exam isn't my cup of tea.

Individual subjects:

A* : Art, Media studies, English Literature + Lang,
    A : History, Religious Education, Maths (hopefully),
    B: German, Core Science, Additional Science,

I don't think I'm missing anything.

ReputationRep:
    It's mentioned in my OP!

The B's would be for Core and Additional science, seeing as I only need roughly 40UMS to get B's, but 88-93 UMS to get an A overall.
    A* in a physic's exam isn't my cup of tea.

Individual subjects:

A* : Art, Media studies, English Literature + Lang,
    A : History, Religious Education, Maths (hopefully),
    B: German, Core Science, Additional Science,

I don't think I'm missing anything.
    Sorry. I completely missed that!

With those grades, why didn't you apply to Tiffin? It would have seemed to be a better school for you...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry. I completely missed that!

With those grades, why didn't you apply to Tiffin? It would have seemed to be a better school for you...
    Tiffans sounds and looks like it would've been perfect, but I lucked out. Some part of my mind thought it's only good for anyone wanting to get into medicine.

It's far too late to apply now.

ReputationRep:
    Tiffans sounds and looks like it would've been perfect, but I lucked out. Some part of my mind thought it's only good for anyone wanting to get into medicine.

It's far too late to apply now.
    That's a shame. It seems that it would have suited you. Well, I hope I helped you with your questions.

Will you be going to Esher or Richmond? Have you decided yet?

ReputationRep:
    That's a shame. It seems that it would have suited you. Well, I hope I helped you with your questions.

Will you be going to Esher or Richmond? Have you decided yet?
    I'll be holding Esher in mind, but I missed their open day, so I won't officially decide until I go to that this year. And get an explanation on how they teach their courses. And maybe take a look at some exemplar work.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be holding Esher in mind, but I missed their open day, so I won't officially decide until I go to that this year. And get an explanation on how they teach their courses. And maybe take a look at some exemplar work.
    That's the best idea.

However, I wouldn't go on an open day but phone both schools to get a tour around. That way you can see what the school is like on a normal day. You can see the atmosphere, student's behaviour and classes.

Open days are good for getting a general idea of the schools but bad for finding out what a school is actually like.

Good luck with your decision!

ReputationRep:
    I have a similar situation, I have places at both Esher and Richmond for next year but I think Esher would be better than Richmond because Esher is only a sixth form college more aimed for 16-18 year olds whilst Richmond isn't just for 16-18 year olds. I've been to both colleges and the students at Esher seemed more mature when I spoke to them than Richmond, like they actually cared about their studies. I am probably going to go to Esher because of that, best of luck with your decision

ReputationRep:
    Hello I am a parent, can anyone tell me whether Esher is a fee paying college or not please, also can anyone tell me when Esher open day is this year? thank you from stella

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone please tell me what they know about strobes college in surrey - thanks - I am researching to find my sn the best possible 6th form college/college

ReputationRep:
    also how do I start a thread on here for a new question thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stella.clark01)
    Hello I am a parent, can anyone tell me whether Esher is a fee paying college or not please, also can anyone tell me when Esher open day is this year? thank you from stella
    Hi Stella,

Esher is not a private college so it isn't a fee paying school.

I have just started my first year at Esher college. I'm half way through my first week and so far so good. The college gives a good amount of private study time, 4 lessons per week per subject and the teachers are fantastic. The teachers are so very helpful compared to my secondary school and run lunchtime help sessions nearly every day. The college also offers a range of extra curricular activities and each student picks one as a complimentary study such as a sport, college magazine, young enterprise or even theatre.

All info regarding applications can be found on their website www.esher.ac.uk but I think the open evening has already passed and currently are taking applications till the end of September so hurry if you want your son to get a place for next year.

ReputationRep:
    thank you malik.....but I am not very clear on applying for my son as you say the closing date is this sept but my son has only just entered year 11 at school, so why do I have to apply so early for sept 2014 entry as if we get accepted for a place and I have to accept it so early then this leave us without going to other open days at other colleges. or do you mean the closing date end sept is for this year 2013 entrents? kind regards and thank you for your response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stella.clark01)
    thank you malik.....but I am not very clear on applying for my son as you say the closing date is this sept but my son has only just entered year 11 at school, so why do I have to apply so early for sept 2014 entry as if we get accepted for a place and I have to accept it so early then this leave us without going to other open days at other colleges. or do you mean the closing date end sept is for this year 2013 entrents? kind regards and thank you for your response
    The deadline is near to the end of this September for 2014 entrants. You can apply to and go to as many colleges and sixth forms as you like even after applying to Esher college. You will have a chance to withdraw the application till even after next June so don't worry about being forced to accept a place.

I applied to Richmond college and Esher college, in late August all I had to do was send an email to Richmond and tell them that I am going to a different college and withdrawing my application.

At the moment all you need to do is go on the different college websites see when the deadline for applying is and if you are interested in the college then apply there. Apply to as many as you want and then just accept a place at one of the colleges in the summer. Also if the colleges are still doing open days then attend them but some places like esher do it way early like in July time when the applicant is finishing yr 10. Reason being the application process happens early so the open days have to be early too.

also contact the colleges directly to get more information from them about your questions, they can defo help you better

ReputationRep:
    [
    Thank you for your help malik.
    Bless you and I wish you happiness and success with your studies
    Kind regards from Stella

QUOTE=malikabdullah96;44484937]The deadline is near to the end of this September for 2014 entrants. You can apply to and go to as many colleges and sixth forms as you like even after applying to Esher college. You will have a chance to withdraw the application till even after next June so don't worry about being forced to accept a place.

I applied to Richmond college and Esher college, in late August all I had to do was send an email to Richmond and tell them that I am going to a different college and withdrawing my application.

At the moment all you need to do is go on the different college websites see when the deadline for applying is and if you are interested in the college then apply there. Apply to as many as you want and then just accept a place at one of the colleges in the summer. Also if the colleges are still doing open days then attend them but some places like esher do it way early like in July time when the applicant is finishing yr 10. Reason being the application process happens early so the open days have to be early too.

also contact the colleges directly to get more information from them about your questions, they can defo help you better[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    Do you know how long the days are at Esher? I've looked on the website but it doesn't say..well it says 'full time' but doesn't specify any exact times :confused:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.