The Student Room Group

Maths PhD Admission Standards

As a Masters student in the US, I'm interested in Pure Maths PhD Programs in the UK, Switzerland, and Germany. Would a 3.7-3.75 GPA (a low A- average) give me a chance or make me competitive for a Maths PhD Program in the UK (such as Edinburgh, Durham, Oxford, King's College)? Also, if you have applied for a Maths PhD Program in Europe, how was your experience in applying for programs? Did you contact potential advisers?
Reply 1
Original post by mathgrad12
As a Masters student in the US, I'm interested in Pure Maths PhD Programs in the UK, Switzerland, and Germany. Would a 3.7-3.75 GPA (a low A- average) give me a chance or make me competitive for a Maths PhD Program in the UK (such as Edinburgh, Durham, Oxford, King's College)? Also, if you have applied for a Maths PhD Program in Europe, how was your experience in applying for programs? Did you contact potential advisers?

It would probably be enough to get you admitted for most of them. However it would be very unlikely you would secure funding.
Reply 2
Thanks for your response, Nichrome. Has anyone experienced applying to Maths PhD Programs in the UK, Germany, and Switzerland? For instance, has anyone applied to Edinburgh, Zurich Graduate School of Mathematics, Berlin Mathematical School, etc? How are the admissions standards in the UK vs. Germany vs. Switzerland and how was your application experience?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending