Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Terrified for my first Body Pump class on monday, any tips? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So basically, I used to be 15 stone just over 2 years ago (I didn't really know how to eat sensibly - at that age you think you're invincible and can eat a whole packet of chocolate digestives smothered in peanut butter and convince yourself you're ''not gaining weight'').

I then did the old plan of weight watchers using some books my grandma gave me, I dropped to 7 stone, I was depressed and miserable it botched up my perceptions of food and it was quite frankly one of the stupidest things I've ever done (I was eating 700-800 cals a day).

I've been working on being HEALTHY, attending the gym, doing spinning and some light weights, jogging outdoors and eating a balanced diet (plenty of protein and fruit).

Ideally I'd love to do a half marathon in the future, I realise thats a way off, especially since I burnt through all my muscle with my silly diet. (I'm really very angry with myself ).

I decided that I was going to use body pump classes to get some muscle back, and did a introduction class a few days ago, monday is my first proper class. I used the 1kg weights and we went over all the basic techniques. I'm just terrified I'm going to do something wrong on monday and injure myself, or it's going to be too much and I'll end up in bed fora week. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I survive my first class? Anything I should be doing before hand? (food wise and technique and stuff?)

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about the body pump classes since I'v never been to one but a quick google search suggests it seems to be more cardio inclined. They use really light weights and that is not going to help you build muscle, which is what I assume is your aim?

I think the best thing would be to start a routine with lots of compound lifts such as squats, deadlifts, bench, press and rows or chins. Also like you said start eating a little more as well, so you don't make the same mistake as you did, perhaps consider tracking calories for a few weeks just to get into a routine of eating.

These cardio classes do have their use for general cardiovascular fitness but they aren't going to help you regain your muscle.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosikins)
    So basically, I used to be 15 stone just over 2 years ago (I didn't really know how to eat sensibly - at that age you think you're invincible and can eat a whole packet of chocolate digestives smothered in peanut butter and convince yourself you're ''not gaining weight'').

I then did the old plan of weight watchers using some books my grandma gave me, I dropped to 7 stone, I was depressed and miserable it botched up my perceptions of food and it was quite frankly one of the stupidest things I've ever done (I was eating 700-800 cals a day).

I've been working on being HEALTHY, attending the gym, doing spinning and some light weights, jogging outdoors and eating a balanced diet (plenty of protein and fruit).

Ideally I'd love to do a half marathon in the future, I realise thats a way off, especially since I burnt through all my muscle with my silly diet. (I'm really very angry with myself ).

I decided that I was going to use body pump classes to get some muscle back, and did a introduction class a few days ago, monday is my first proper class. I used the 1kg weights and we went over all the basic techniques. I'm just terrified I'm going to do something wrong on monday and injure myself, or it's going to be too much and I'll end up in bed fora week. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I survive my first class? Anything I should be doing before hand? (food wise and technique and stuff?)
    You aint gonna gain any muscle with 1kg weights, and I highly doubt you'll injure yourself using them unless you're insanely out of shape.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rcummins1)
    You aint gonna gain any muscle with 1kg weights, and I highly doubt you'll injure yourself using them unless you're insanely out of shape.
    ^true^

ReputationRep:
    It's true what people are saying about not gaining muscle with light weights however it is good to stick light for a class or two whilst you make sure you learn the moves. However I have definitely gained strength and muscle from going to body pump classes and I
    I currently use 25kg for squats (which is my highest weight as leg( are strongest) which is by no means "light" but you do use lighter weights in the class than you would just doing squats as part of a gym routine because of the higher number of reps.

Make sure you take water and if you find yourself having to miss out a few reps don't worry! Once you get into it you will love it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosikins)
    I decided that I was going to use body pump classes to get some muscle back, and did a introduction class a few days ago, monday is my first proper class.
    How did it go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.