Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Interlacing pages of books - Need help with understanding watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I am working on a science project based upon paper, and I have chosen the affect of friction between two interlaced books. The attachment below is something I have found on the internet, as part of my research..

I don't understand why the Rav = 0.5 * (mass1 + mass2) *9.81. Why is the total mass of the books halved? Could you please explain this?

Thanks in advance,

A.T.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Inseparable phone books, science fact or science friction.pdf (66.7 KB, 128 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atham)
    Hello all,

I am working on a science project based upon paper, and I have chosen the affect of friction between two interlaced books. The attachment below is something I have found on the internet, as part of my research..

I don't understand why the Rav = 0.5 * (mass1 + mass2) *9.81. Why is the total mass of the books halved? Could you please explain this?

Thanks in advance,

A.T.
    It is considering the average page in the book. So on average there will be a force on the page of half the total weight of the book. This is because only the last page will have the whole weight and the first page will have zero the weight on it. Average is  \frac{1 + 0}{2} = 0.5

make sense?

Edit: consider the first page: weight on the first page is  \delta m \time g so the weight on the second page is  (\delta m + \delta m) \time g and so on untill you reach the last page  (\delta m + \delta m + \dots + \delta m) \times g = m \times g
    The average page is the sum of these weights, devided by the number of pages

ReputationRep:
    Right, I see. Thanks for the explanation

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 18, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.