Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Conflicted about University of Portsmouth as insurance choice Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm going to study architecture in the fall and I've gotten offers from Westminster, Brighton, Kent, and Portsmouth. Respectively they want 35, 34, 33, and 30 from IB.

I really love Kent and it's my firm choice no doubt about it. That leaves me with Portsmouth as insurance but I'm rather regretting even applying to it - when I look at their website I don't really feel I'd be very happy there. And its reputation isn't very good as far as I know...

Seeing as I'm an international student, I've heard some unis cut off some slack if my exam grades deviate a little bit (1 or 2 points). Do you think I should choose Brighton (which I really like) as insurance, and if I get lower than 33 maybe they would accept me anyway? Or should I just pick Portsmouth?

Also, if you're a student at Portsmouth i'd love to heard about it, maybe I'd change my mind

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hedwigg)
    Hi,

I'm going to study architecture in the fall and I've gotten offers from Westminster, Brighton, Kent, and Portsmouth. Respectively they want 35, 34, 33, and 30 from IB.

I really love Kent and it's my firm choice no doubt about it. That leaves me with Portsmouth as insurance but I'm rather regretting even applying to it - when I look at their website I don't really feel I'd be very happy there. And its reputation isn't very good as far as I know...

Seeing as I'm an international student, I've heard some unis cut off some slack if my exam grades deviate a little bit (1 or 2 points). Do you think I should choose Brighton (which I really like) as insurance, and if I get lower than 33 maybe they would accept me anyway? Or should I just pick Portsmouth?

Also, if you're a student at Portsmouth i'd love to heard about it, maybe I'd change my mind

Thanks
    I would say think carefully about which university you choose. I am in the exact same position. I am regretting choosing my insurance but the problem is i have already chosen. I heard it can be up to 2 weeks for your insurance to withdraw you.

ReputationRep:
    Go to brighton you prefer the place you have to be happy where you areI was at portsmouth and left after a term

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My recommendation would be Brighton - its got a long, well established reputation as a good Art & Design Uni also with credibility in lots of 'tech' subjects. The town itself is def. better than Portsmouth (Navy town) - Brighton has a great art/music scene, cheap student housing, its by the sea and only 50 mins by train to London.

You can still put Brighton as an Insurance -even though its 'higher' that Kent - if you miss Kent, its possible Brighton may admit you with a lower score than both they & Kent asked for.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.