The Student Room Group

English Language B AQA Unit 1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HannahBanana1995
I think you would have to do incredibly well next year to boost your grade without retaking. If I were you, I would re-sit it next year. You seem really determined to get that A, so I'm sure you could do it!

The good thing is that AS's are taken earlier than A2's so it wouldn't interfere with the rest of your exams!

Also drop the subject you enjoy the least, you'll get even better grades next year if you enjoy all your subjects!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww thank you for the advice! I managed to get a B overall as my coursework balanced it out, so my teacher reckons if I worked hard enough I could scrap an A. I was told the exam is in the summer with my A2 exams, which would add more pressure. How much earlier do you think the exam would be? Thanks for all the advice though, defiantly helped to clear my head about my choices. : ) xxx
I'm not sure but A2 exams are usually in June whereas AS in May or early June.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone please help me out?
For my English Langauge AS I recieved 166 marks which has equated to an A grade.
My exam, which I did in January, was 6 marks off an A so I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what the coursework marks were out of ?
Original post by CramMySocksOff
Aww thank you for the advice! I managed to get a B overall as my coursework balanced it out, so my teacher reckons if I worked hard enough I could scrap an A. I was told the exam is in the summer with my A2 exams, which would add more pressure. How much earlier do you think the exam would be? Thanks for all the advice though, defiantly helped to clear my head about my choices. : ) xxx

Yeah, getting an A over all is still possible. You need high marks in both the exam and coursework. You need 320/400 to achieve an A over all. :smile:

Good luck!
Original post by terristoker
Can someone please help me out?
For my English Langauge AS I recieved 166 marks which has equated to an A grade.
My exam, which I did in January, was 6 marks off an A so I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what the coursework marks were out of ?

Coursework is out of 80.

If you were 6 UMS marks of an A last year, you achieved 90/120, which means you achieved 76/80 for your coursework, which is incredible! Well done! I only achieved 67/80 last year for my Language coursework, and that was a struggle in itself haha.

Good luck for A2! :biggrin:
Original post by MichaelB6
Coursework is out of 80.

If you were 6 UMS marks of an A last year, you achieved 90/120, which means you achieved 76/80 for your coursework, which is incredible! Well done! I only achieved 67/80 last year for my Language coursework, and that was a struggle in itself haha.

Thankyou! The real pain of my life is AS English Literature, I can't seem to find anyone who sat the WJEC exam this summer :frown:
Yeah, getting an A over all is still possible. You need high marks in both the exam and coursework. You need 320/400 to achieve an A over all. :smile:

Good luck!

Is the 400 for both AS and A2 combined? As overall for AS I got 144. That would mean I needed quite a lot for A2. Do you think it'd be worth re-sitting for a better grade? And I gather you've done English Language for A2, if so would you say it's a lot heavier in terms of content than for AS. I know it's coursework based again, but I quite like coursework. Dropping law will give me waaay more time to focus on other subjects than what I had before. : )
Original post by CramMySocksOff
Is the 400 for both AS and A2 combined? As overall for AS I got 144. That would mean I needed quite a lot for A2. Do you think it'd be worth re-sitting for a better grade? And I gather you've done English Language for A2, if so would you say it's a lot heavier in terms of content than for AS. I know it's coursework based again, but I quite like coursework. Dropping law will give me waaay more time to focus on other subjects than what I had before. : )

Well if we're talking about AQA -

It's 400 out of both yeah, each year is out of 200. So 144 requires you to achieve 176 out of 200 next year, which is completely doable but obviously requires a lot of hard work xD.

And the work load varies from person to person. I personally struggled with A2 way more than AS, but that's because I have the attention spam of a gold fish. I got bored of all my subjects this year, but Language was especially difficult. I'm very much a humanities kind of guy (English Language, English Literature and History xD), and the Language investigation for coursework was hell for me because it is incredibly technical and... science-ie really. I put graphs in English coursework! IT WAS UNNATURAL

I enjoyed the actual exam content though; child development was especially interesting to learn.

So for me personally, the work load was more because I hated the entire coursework unit of this year. But I have a friend who was completely the opposite; found AS hard but loved A2 because she loved the coursework unit.

So yeah, in a direct comparison, A2 coursework is MUCH harder than AS, but there is less to learn for the exams in A2 when compared to AS. AS requires you to learn Language & Gender/Power/Technology, and language in Media which are all quite broad and loaded content subjects. A2 only requires you to learn Language & Child Development, and Language Change.

A2 = harder coursework, less exam material (theoretically. The best advice I could give is DO NOT THROW AWAY YOUR AS NOTES. You have no idea how much AS terminology/linguistic concepts come up in A2 haha) while AS is easier coursework but more exam material.

But overall, once I got the very science-ie based investigation over and done with, I was plain sailing and loved Language. So yeah I would recommend it! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Well if we're talking about AQA -

It's 400 out of both yeah, each year is out of 200. So 144 requires you to achieve 176 out of 200 next year, which is completely doable but obviously requires a lot of hard work xD.

And the work load varies from person to person. I personally struggled with A2 way more than AS, but that's because I have the attention spam of a gold fish. I got bored of all my subjects this year, but Language was especially difficult. I'm very much a humanities kind of guy (English Language, English Literature and History xD), and the Language investigation for coursework was hell for me because it is incredibly technical and... science-ie really. I put graphs in English coursework! IT WAS UNNATURAL

I enjoyed the actual exam content though; child development was especially interesting to learn.

So for me personally, the work load was more because I hated the entire coursework unit of this year. But I have a friend who was completely the opposite; found AS hard but loved A2 because she loved the coursework unit.

So yeah, in a direct comparison, A2 coursework is MUCH harder than AS, but there is less to learn for the exams in A2 when compared to AS. AS requires you to learn Language & Gender/Power/Technology, and language in Media which are all quite broad and loaded content subjects. A2 only requires you to learn Language & Child Development, and Language Change.

A2 = harder coursework, less exam material (theoretically. The best advice I could give is DO NOT THROW AWAY YOUR AS NOTES. You have no idea how much AS terminology/linguistic concepts come up in A2 haha) while AS is easier coursework but more exam material.

But overall, once I got the very science-ie based investigation over and done with, I was plain sailing and loved Language. So yeah I would recommend it! :smile:

Haha, thank you so much!! Yeah I know what you mean about attention span, I always found myself falling asleep in english AS. Science-ie , hmm dont mind that too much, sociology and psychology are statistic-y so I should be okay there.

Thats good for the exam part, which means I can re-sit and balance my time better. Don't mind spending time on course work, just badger my teacher to do constant marking of all my drafts and such. : ) Dropping law will also give me so much free time, she likes us to do work independently so I spent a majority of my free time sifting through huge law books looking for one case law as we weren't allowed to use the internet.

Thank you so much though, you've really helped me to realise more depth into english A2, which I really had little knowledge of. Plus it's always nice listening from a students point of view. : )
Coursework is out of 80.

still better than me , 62/80 in the coursework :P
I got 100 marks in the exam, does anyone know what it was out of? I'm thinking 120 but not sure as I got an A.
Original post by Tom_green_day
I got 100 marks in the exam, does anyone know what it was out of? I'm thinking 120 but not sure as I got an A.

I got 100 too! And yes it was out of 120 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HannahBanana1995
I got 100 too! And yes it was out of 120 :smile:

Ah congrats! I may just tell people it was out of 100 so I seem genius...
108/120!
Reply 154
how did everyone do?

This is my strongest subject. I got an A, and am so pleased :smile:

Hope everyone did well :biggrin:
Did not do as I expected! So upset; all my mocks were coming out at strong A's and I only got a C in the exam, with a B in the coursework so it was a C overall.
I got 139 UMS marks over (77 in the exam, 62 in coursework)... I really need to get it up to a B next year (I'd prefer an A), so I feel like I really should retake.
Just hate the idea of going through the exam ALL over again.
WHY did they have to get rid of Jan retakes? :-(
I still don't know how I got 111/120 UMS marks in this exam. This was my one exam where I genuinely felt I could walk out with a D after months of revision. I didn't even put that many English Language specific terms that examiners look for. I think I had a very generous examiner (but I'm not complaining!) I'm also so glad I picked to do technology, it was a dream question! As a sideline, what are you doing for your A2 English Language Coursework?
Original post by Oxford-Hopeful
108/120!

woooo! I also got a 3 digit number for my UMS :colondollar: (111/120) what section B did you do?
Original post by sophtommo
I still don't know how I got 111/120 UMS marks in this exam. This was my one exam where I genuinely felt I could walk out with a D after months of revision. I didn't even put that many English Language specific terms that examiners look for. I think I had a very generous examiner (but I'm not complaining!) I'm also so glad I picked to do technology, it was a dream question! As a sideline, what are you doing for your A2 English Language Coursework?

congrats ! i got 85/120 on this exam ( crap compared to some on here including yours haha ) but i was really happy with that cos i actually did get an E on my mock -_-

ahh i did the power question for section B , didn't really have a choice as i was hopelessly bad at the gender and technology haha. i wish there was a way to see how we did in each question , might try and find out when we go back ! :smile:
Original post by sophtommo
woooo! I also got a 3 digit number for my UMS :colondollar: (111/120) what section B did you do?

Power! I loved that speech one of my unit 2 coursework texts was a speech!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending