Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Was this just horrific for my whole class, or was it just as bad for everyone else across the country?!

We all though the question on Integration under the curve & tangent didn't give us enough information. Not to mention the Logs question.

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I found both of those really difficult, but found the rest not too bad, so I don't think it's just you guys who found it hard.

Now cue all the A/A* students to tell us how really easy the paper was.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you've done better than you think the two questions you mentioned we're the most difficult in my opinion too and loads of people got them wrong the boundaries for grades will account for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liberty.)
    We all though the question on Integration under the curve & tangent didn't give us enough information.
    I'm not entirely sure if this is right, but I differentiated the curve and subbed in (4,7) to get the equation of the tangent, and then put in y=0 to find out where the tangent crossed the x-axis. Once you did that you could work out the area of the triangle made by the tangent, lines y=0 and x=4, and take that area away from the total area under the curve to give you the answer.

I got 1.23. Did anyone else do the same as me or did I make that up?

ReputationRep:
    Some of the questions were really difficult. For question 6, at first I didn't even know what they were asking. How were u supposed to work out question 6 part 2? The one about sum of infinity.
    And question 10 took me forever, I just hope I made no silly mistakes....because it was just sooo long I basically had to nearly use all of the trig rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liberty.)

We all though the question on Integration under the curve & tangent didn't give us enough information.
    :confused:
    Which one do u mean?? Do you mean the one where u had to find the shaded area on the curve between -4 and 0.
    For that one I integrated the curve with limits 0 and -4. Then I found the area of the triangle and took it away from what I got from the integration. Is it what u were supposed to do??

ReputationRep:
    Quite an interesting paper with a few pretty challenging questions.

I found the log question the most difficult, and spent like half an hour on that question alone, leaving me with only about 10 minutes to check the rest of my answers.

It required an odd concept jump such that (a^x)(b^x) = (ab)^x

I enjoyed the tangent + curve differentiation question.

I did the same as mcavenger in method, although I'm not entirely sure if was the same answer.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that the rest was fine, just normal routine questions from past papers.

But for the fact that I lost at least 16 marks because of those horrible ones ouch.

I started to attempt to find the equation of the tangent, but we did that back in C1 which feels like a year ago!

Hoping they'll put the grade boundary a lot lower
    I wanted to drop maths for A2 anyway, but still don't want to fail! Definitely not looking forward to Stats next week either :l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BankOfPigs)
    I did the same as mcavenger in method, although I'm not entirely sure if was the same answer.
    What did you get for the equation of the tangent and the coordinates of where it crosses the x-axis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcavengers)
    I'm not entirely sure if this is right, but I differentiated the curve and subbed in (4,7) to get the equation of the tangent, and then put in y=0 to find out where the tangent crossed the x-axis. Once you did that you could work out the area of the triangle made by the tangent, lines y=0 and x=4, and take that area away from the total area under the curve to give you the answer.

I got 1.23. Did anyone else do the same as me or did I make that up?
    The paper asked for an exact value, which 1.23 is not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    What question are we even talking about?

ReputationRep:
    the area question isn't that bad. at least it was on the other past paper so I not surprise. The log question is the bad as* one. =.= I don't even understand what is their question about :-ss but really what do u guys get on that question ???
    k I came out with 0.02 or 0.99 ?? and d for part 3 I get ~16

the stupid question I didn't do is question 10 part 2 the one u find the area of the fences @@ lost 5 mark

ReputationRep:
    What did you get for the equation of the tangent and the coordinates of where it crosses the x-axis?
    Why did u find the equation of the tangent? Did they ask for it? I thought they only asked for the gradient. And if you wanted to find where it crosses the x-axis u just had to read it off the graph :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lorobolorolo)
    What question are we even talking about?
    7)ii) OCR not MEI is the question that the person I quoted was talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    It would have been exact providing she put a dot above the 3 which indicates it was recurring. I also got this answer but I expressed it as a fraction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by audi_turbo)
    It would have been exact providing she put a dot above the 3 which indicates it was recurring. I also got this answer but I expressed it as a fraction.
    Fractions are better . . .
    Fractions are your friends - Decimals = Danger

ReputationRep:
    I thought the majority of it was alright, apart from the logs question. I think i dropped 4 marks from silly mistakes and probably all 5 on the logs question even though i worked backwards from the answer... what does everyone reckon the boundaries will be?:confused:
    Also here's the markscheme if anyone wants to have a look at it! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post42663733

ReputationRep:
    y=3x-5 if i remember correctly. Also when you said you got 1.23, that was correct but it had to be exact, so needed to be given in the form 37/30.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lorobolorolo)
    For k I got 0.0000774 or something similar to that.
    LOLWUT? think you guys are on about MEI or something...

ReputationRep:
    The paper wasn't that bad, compared to some of the past papers we've done in class. Although, question 8(ii) about logs was a bugger! It was made worse, by one of the invigilators sniffing through the entire exam. So off-putting!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.