Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I am 20 years old so understand I could in theory move out, vote for who I wanted, drink, smoke, bet, have sex and so on. But for some reason fopr the last year or so I've felt I need to ask my mum permission to do every single little thing. If I don't I will feel like a 'bad' person, as if I've let her down, really upset her, I'm not sure exactly, but it'd be wrong.

The most notable of these is asking what I can or can't eat and whether I can or can't go to the gym/exercise. This is because she got concerned I'd took it too far once but that was a couple of years ago now really! However I still need to ask her if it's OK and she still asks me if I'd ate anything when I've been out all day it's kinda annoying.
    I also have to do this with other stranger things, like whether I can drink or not (too much alcohol causes anxiety for me), when I can go to bed, and I almost asked her if it was ok I was going out with someone.
    Spoiler:
    Show

I ended up asking her is it OK I masturbate quite recently and that was really awkward, it didn't feel right

Does anyone have any idea why I need to ask Mum to keep doing this even though it makes me feel uncomfy and anyone else could do what they want? This is actually ruining my life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    Hi guys,
    I am 20 years old so understand I could in theory move out, vote for who I wanted, drink, smoke, bet, have sex and so on. But for some reason fopr the last year or so I've felt I need to ask my mum permission to do every single little thing. If I don't I will feel like a 'bad' person, as if I've let her down, really upset her, I'm not sure exactly, but it'd be wrong.

The most notable of these is asking what I can or can't eat and whether I can or can't go to the gym/exercise. This is because she got concerned I'd took it too far once but that was a couple of years ago now really! However I still need to ask her if it's OK and she still asks me if I'd ate anything when I've been out all day it's kinda annoying.
    I also have to do this with other stranger things, like whether I can drink or not (too much alcohol causes anxiety for me), when I can go to bed, and I almost asked her if it was ok I was going out with someone.
    Spoiler:
    Show

I ended up asking her is it OK I masturbate quite recently and that was really awkward, it didn't feel right

Does anyone have any idea why I need to ask Mum to keep doing this even though it makes me feel uncomfy and anyone else could do what they want? This is actually ruining my life
    I do at times get this to! There will be times when i feel i need to ask my mum's permission otherwise something bad will happen and other times not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harri2648)
    I do at times get this to! There will be times when i feel i need to ask my mum's permission otherwise something bad will happen and other times not.
    It's really annoying isn't it? :hugs:
    I'm finding it awkward now because it's things like asking her who I can go out with, or who to vote for (technically not even legal :P), I want to nip it in the bud like you what is it that you think will happen if she says no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    Hi guys,

Spoiler:
    Show

Do you suffer from OCD?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by audi_turbo)
    Do you suffer from OCD?
    Erm I've never been diagnosed, but very very possibly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    It's really annoying isn't it? :hugs:
    I'm finding it awkward now because it's things like asking her who I can go out with, or who to vote for (technically not even legal :P), I want to nip it in the bud like you what is it that you think will happen if she says no?
    Haha yeah it is! I have OCD too which makes the matters worse! And i really dont know! I get a feeling like im going to be left alone, or my boyfriend will dump me or something bad's going to happen!
    It drives me mad but no matter what if i get the feeling i do what my gut tells me to do. (OCD)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    May be your reason as to why you constantly ask your mum about everything due to the compulsions. If you speak to your GP about it they can easily refer you.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like your asking you mum for permission because you're unsure on whether it's acceptable. Truth is you make mistakes in life so grow some confidence and do things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    I have OCD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harri2648)
    Haha yeah it is! I have OCD too which makes the matters worse! And i really dont know! I get a feeling like im going to be left alone, or my boyfriend will dump me or something bad's going to happen!
    It drives me mad but no matter what if i get the feeling i do what my gut tells me to do. (OCD)
    That's a good way to cope Unofrtunately I haven't got to the stage where I can ignore it! Practice makes perfect I guess. But you know deep down no-one will ever leave you for doing what you want to do, right? :hugs:

(Original post by audi_turbo)
    May be your reason as to why you constantly ask your mum about everything due to the compulsions. If you speak to your GP about it they can easily refer you.
    Mmm well I have anxiety and I'm Dyspraxic so it could be that, but my therapist did goon about me being a little 'obsessive' every session so I got the hint :/ She also wanted to test me for autism right at the start of CBT but my mum was convinced I didn't have it, idk maybe I should go back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    Hi guys,

Spoiler:
    Show

It's nice that she's looking out for you. My Mum always asks if I've eaten when I see her.. because she'll feed me if I haven't.

Have you considered just not asking? Like just say 'I'm off to the gym Mum, see you in a hour. Anything you need while I'm gone?'

I can't see how someone would object to that. I think this is an issue which needs to be delt with.

Out of interest did you Mum give you permission to knock one out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pizzle223)
    It's nice that she's looking out for you. My Mum always asks if I've eaten when I see her.. because she'll feed me if I haven't.

Have you considered just not asking? Like just say 'I'm off to the gym Mum, see you in a hour. Anything you need while I'm gone?'

I can't see how someone would object to that. I think this is an issue which needs to be delt with.

Out of interest did you Mum give you permission to knock one out?
    No I really appreciate it it's just because when my anxiety got really bad I went through a bad phase with eating. So I still think when she asks it's a replay of that.
    I try to just do it. It's hard. First time I did I had a breakdown and cried because I couldn't move. It's getting a bit easier but I still feel ashamed for not asking.
    You'll have to use your imagination there, I'm afraid :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    No I really appreciate it it's just because when my anxiety got really bad I went through a bad phase with eating. So I still think when she asks it's a replay of that.
    I try to just do it. It's hard. First time I did I had a breakdown and cried because I couldn't move. It's getting a bit easier but I still feel ashamed for not asking.
    You'll have to use your imagination there, I'm afraid :P
    Well I struggle to give you advice really as I've never had to deal with anxiety. I guess she's just looking out for you.

All in all I'd say it's your mother you need to talk with about this.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Riku;42672415]That's a good way to cope Unofrtunately I haven't got to the stage where I can ignore it! Practice makes perfect I guess. But you know deep down no-one will ever leave you for doing what you want to do, right? :hugs:

Yeah i spoke to my boyfriend and he has said hes never leaving me and i know he wouldnt because of things and how close we are so that makes me feel better and it stops a little bit although i do get it now and again haha

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2013
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.