Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just wondering if Oxford and Cambridge still do this Watch

ReputationRep:
    when my Grandfarther went to Cambridge in the 1930's they insisted all freshers stayed in halls. I know times have changed but I just wondered if Cambridge and/or oxford still did this

ReputationRep:
    Yeah pretty much, unless you have a special reason. I don't see why you wouldn't want to stay in college, it's great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    Yeah pretty much, unless you have a special reason. I don't see why you wouldn't want to stay in college, it's great.
    well I've allready graduated although from a diffrent uni it's just been knocking around in my brain cell for a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    well I've allready graduated although from a diffrent uni it's just been knocking around in my brain cell for a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You won't be forced into staying on site, but it's definitely convenient, and probably much cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    I probably should say at uni I did live out in halls and then in a location right near the centre and all the clubs (I mean like 3 minuets away although in a residential road so I could sleep if I needed to)

ReputationRep:
    You are required to live within a certain distance of the centre of Oxford or Cambridge for a certain period of time to get your degree. You can live anywhere within this area and satisfy the residency requirement, but (at least in Cambridge) there isn't a huge amount of private accommodation so it's usually much easier and a lot cheaper (assuming you leave in the holidays) to live in college accommodation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.