Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am 21 years of age and I am hoping to get into University for 2014. From then till now I want to do an access course to be able to do it.

Has anyone done an access course to gain entry for computer science at a University? If so, could you let me know on what course you took and were any universities reluctant on giving you a place.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by English_Gamer)
    Hello,

I am 21 years of age and I am hoping to get into University for 2014. From then till now I want to do an access course to be able to do it.

Has anyone done an access course to gain entry for computer science at a University? If so, could you let me know on what course you took and were any universities reluctant on giving you a place.

Thank you!
    Whilst I haven't completed a Computer Science Access to HE course, I have just completed an Access to HE course myself.

Unfortunately when it comes to degrees that are heavily maths based, Access doesn't tend to be very well respected for these I'm afraid. Whilst I studied Maths this year, it does not cover the full syllabus that A Level students cover, and thus is quite lacking in that respect. We covered Algebra and Graphs, Logarithms, Statistics and Decision Maths all at level 3, but nowhere near as much depth as an A Level student, which is why I'm going to do a foundation degree next year so that I can go to study Physics.

That aside, you might be able to find an access course with a more suitable Maths coverage, and I did some quick research for you. I don't know where you were thinking of applying to so I just looked at some top unis for it.

Cambridge for example has colleges that are receptive to Access, but for CompSci they will require A Level Maths.

Imperial wanted Further Maths at AS or A2.

Bristol did seem receptive to just Access on its own and their typical offer was 30 Distinctions, 15 Merits with all Maths at Distinction.

Glasgow, Exeter and Warwick had no information available - you'd have to email.

York seemed to imply they wouldn't accept it, stating a heavy maths background would be needed.

UCL outright stated it was not acceptable for entry.

So the overall picture is that it is accepted at limited universities for entrance. Would you be staying local to where you are now, or are you willing to move?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExWunderkind)
    Whilst I haven't completed a Computer Science Access to HE course, I have just completed an Access to HE course myself.

Unfortunately when it comes to degrees that are heavily maths based, Access doesn't tend to be very well respected for these I'm afraid. Whilst I studied Maths this year, it does not cover the full syllabus that A Level students cover, and thus is quite lacking in that respect. We covered Algebra and Graphs, Logarithms, Statistics and Decision Maths all at level 3, but nowhere near as much depth as an A Level student, which is why I'm going to do a foundation degree next year so that I can go to study Physics.

That aside, you might be able to find an access course with a more suitable Maths coverage, and I did some quick research for you. I don't know where you were thinking of applying to so I just looked at some top unis for it.

Cambridge for example has colleges that are receptive to Access, but for CompSci they will require A Level Maths.

Imperial wanted Further Maths at AS or A2.

Bristol did seem receptive to just Access on its own and their typical offer was 30 Distinctions, 15 Merits with all Maths at Distinction.

Glasgow, Exeter and Warwick had no information available - you'd have to email.

York seemed to imply they wouldn't accept it, stating a heavy maths background would be needed.

UCL outright stated it was not acceptable for entry.

So the overall picture is that it is accepted at limited universities for entrance. Would you be staying local to where you are now, or are you willing to move?
    I am currently based in Buckinghamshire, I doubt I could afford to travel anywhere far to study the Access course. My local College has an access course available.

http://www.aylesbury.ac.uk/subjects/...her-education/ To be precise.

I am hoping to obtain very high grades at the end of the course and would hopefully like to go to:

Reading University
    Birmingham University
    Nottingham University
    Plymouth University

Also, how did you find your access course? What was the work flow like?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by English_Gamer)
    Hello,

Thank you!
    Hey did you quote me and delete the post or something? TSR is being weird and says I have been quoted in an unread post by you, but there's nothing here! Haha.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.