Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is choosing Manchester over Edinburgh a bad idea? watch

• View Poll Results: Is choosing Manchester over Edinburgh a bad idea?
    Yes
    41.67%
    No
    58.33%

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is one of the top 50 universities in the world for engineering and it's well known for life science and engineering. Edinburgh on the other hand is more prestigious and ranked higher than Manchester.

Regarding cities, Manchester is closer to london where most of the interesting things happen. Edinburgh is far and feels isolated but the city is unbelievably beautiful.

I should note that I'm running online startup and that's why being closer to london is kind of important to me. However, Edinburgh has always been a dream to me and I finally had an offer which I'm hesitating to reject. Should I choose Edinburgh or Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    It's not a bad idea at all, they're both rather good universities.

I would advise that you should consider the practicalities and long-term benefits of the universities, rather than basing it solely on league tables and location. If Manchester presents certain advantages over Edinburgh that contribute greatly to your career in the long term, then I would feel that Manchester is better for you. You can always visit Edinburgh if you wanted to, it is feasible to do that.

But ultimately it's up to you, I just prefer having a pragmatic approach to important decisions such as this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bouffe)
    It's not a bad idea at all, they're both rather good universities.

I would advise that you should consider the practicalities and long-term benefits of the universities, rather than basing it solely on league tables and location. If Manchester presents certain advantages over Edinburgh that contribute greatly to your career in the long term, then I would feel that Manchester is better for you. You can always visit Edinburgh if you wanted to, it is feasible to do that.

But ultimately it's up to you, I just prefer having a pragmatic approach to important decisions such as this.
    This is very good. How do you know the long-term benefits of each of them?

I will be studying eee and planing for Phd or MBA in either Cambridge or Stanford/Ivy league universities. I also have a passion for business and building tech companies.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    This is like choosing between chocolate cake and cheesecake. They're both lovely, it just depends what you want to get out of it.

The most important thing is that you would not be academically disadvantaging yourself with regards to PhD admission by picking either. I can't speak for the proximity issue with regards to tech companies, but I wouldn't say that either are exactly convenient for London. Manchester more so, to by sure, but it's still not a short journey, and so if that's a priority I would question your choice of either :p:

ReputationRep:
    +1 year at scottish unis. I'd count that as a disadvantage, but it depends on your outlook.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think being closer to London because of the 'interesting things that happen there' is at all relevant - bear in mind too that Edinburgh is well connected by bus/train/plane to London.

I would strongly recommend that you choose the uni which has a course that suits you and where you would be happy living. General prestige is not as useful as a degree which you will enjoy and be interested in, thus giving you a better university experience. You're also likely to get better grades studying a course that gives what you are after.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with choosing Manchester over Edinburgh. They're both highly respected universities and neither would disadvantage you in any way. As previous posters have said, it all depends on what you want to get out of your degree. You should also pay attention to the course content-which interests you more?

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is an extremely good university for sciences. Edinburgh is good overall. As they are both seen as being top universities, I would go for the one best for the subject you wish to study as statistics obviously say that this one will be better for YOU.

Your point of Edinburgh being far out is valid. Although it is the least remote university in Scotland, I still feel all of Scotland is isolated and Manchester, being next to many cities such as Liverpool and being much closer, as you said, to London, is an advantage too.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.