Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girlfriend has had several partners compared to my one... your opinions please watch

My girlfriend of 3 years and I are very happy together, we get along perfectly, and if things stay as great as they are there's the probability that we will remain together.
    However, she is the only person I've ever done anything with, whilst she has had a few flings in the past and done various things with other guys, many of whom I know, (everything but sex we were each others firsts).
    Lately I've been thinking about how IF we did stay with one another then I'll have only ever been with one person.
    I always imagined that I'd have been with a few people before I found someone I'd even consider settling down with and whilst ordinarily I wouldn't mind being with only one person if they were the one for me, the fact that she's been with a few for some reason is making this a much bigger deal for me. I wouldn't want to get to my old age and regret wasting my youth when I could have been with some different people, but by the same token I don't particularly want to ruin what we have by something which in the grand scheme of things is so trivial.

Has anyone had a similar experience and if so how did you sort it? or does anyone have some magical advice that will stop this being such a big problem for me?

I'm in exactly the same situation but genders reversed (guy's done things with girls but not sex, I've never done anything with anyone). I try to make myself feel better thinking that at least we can lose our virginities to each other, but I still feel upset about it sometimes - any other advice from people would be helpful for me too!

ReputationRep:
    There are no solutions, only trade offs.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, you're in a healthy relationship that'll last forever. Your life is terrible.

Ask anyone who's been through a few breakups if they enjoyed the experience, that should put you off.

(Original post by Classical Liberal)
    There are no solutions, only trade offs.
    What do you mean by trade offs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What do you mean by trade offs?
    Give up one thing to get another.

ReputationRep:
    I'm basically your girlfriend. I've done most things except sex, my boyfriend hasn't.

I don't regret it....it was good to experiment and learn about what I wanted. But, at the end of the day: it was lonely. I enjoyed my time, but I always craved something more meaningful. I'm far happier with my boyfriend than I ever was by myself. Don't give up your girlfriend for it, because it's not worth it. It's really a case of the grass is greener on the other side. You'll have a half-decent time and then want back in.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.