Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please don't say that, you've offended me Watch

ReputationRep:
    ...Does anyone else find that slightly (or very) arrogant?

That someone's right to free speech should be taken away because someone has said something to hurt your pride. What's more, they want to regulate what is "acceptable" or right.

I would like to point out that I believe in common sense before speaking, but I would never stop someone from saying what they want just because my ears don't like it.

So when someone says the reply in the title, what are your initial thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Can't say that I've ever been in that situation, but the response "so what" would probably be used if i was.

ReputationRep:
    I think they're a knob and should sit the hell down.

ReputationRep:
    Depends. As you said, common sense needs to be exersized. If they just have a different opinion, then yeah they should say it, but if they're needlessly insulting people then theres no need at all.

ReputationRep:
    Not to mention that political correctness seems to take it upon itself to decide WHICH groups you are allowed to offend; and which groups, not. It's about as morally-consistent as Jimmy Savile.

ReputationRep:
    Usually goes hand in hand with crybaby syndrome.

ReputationRep:
    I would have probably said something along the lines of their face offending me.

I'm so vile.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzdpxKqEUAw

ReputationRep:
    Not really arrogant, just overly sensitive

If someone said that to me, I'd just say "oh really, why is that?"

ReputationRep:
    ....I don't think anything wrong of that line.

Just because you like voicing your opinions, it doesn't mean that I have to like listening to them. Just as much as that person has the right to say what he likes, I have just as much as a right to say "Shut up, you're an idiot."

ReputationRep:
    Well, free speech doesn't mean you're gonna invade the freedom of others to choose what they want to hear.

Of course, you can argue that they can simply leave the place if they don't want to hear you, and this will bring us to conclude how treacherous the whole concept of freedom is.

But think of it this way. If someone tells you they don't wanna hear something you've said, they've defined to you what they would take as an 'offense'. If you say it, it might cause psychological harm to them and you will be classed as the 'offender'. If, on the contrary, you choose to shut it up or say it somewhere they cannot hear it, then you should be committing no (moral) offense, no?

Now, if whatever I am saying makes no sense to you and you are getting offended by it, then feel free to ask me to shut it up.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't saying that you're offended by something someone has said an act of free speech too though? :holmes: It's fine to point out when someone has crossed the line, free speech isn't an excuse for being a ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Generic Name)
    Isn't saying that you're offended by something someone has said an act of free speech too though? :holmes: It's fine to point out when someone has crossed the line, free speech isn't an excuse for being a ****.
    And she actually takes offense of this expression of free speech of theirs!

ReputationRep:
    Only if its against a minority. Seems perfectly fine to offend supporters of the UKIP by the news today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha510)
    Well, free speech doesn't mean you're gonna invade the freedom of others to choose what they want to hear.

Of course, you can argue that they can simply leave the place if they don't want to hear you, and this will bring us to conclude how treacherous the whole concept of freedom is.

But think of it this way. If someone tells you they don't wanna hear something you've said, they've defined to you what they would take as an 'offense'. If you say it, it might cause psychological harm to them and you will be classed as the 'offender'. If, on the contrary, you choose to shut it up or say it somewhere they cannot hear it, then you should be committing no (moral) offense, no?

Now, if whatever I am saying makes no sense to you and you are getting offended by it, then feel free to ask me to shut it up.
    Im offended by the letter 'z'. Will you make sure not to use words that contain this letter around me please?

ReputationRep:
    Does your post apply to racially abusive comments - punishable by the law?

See, i respect the freedom of speech, the freedom to put across your view in a mature way. But to insult and provoke , and evoke the emotions of millions by slandering abuses the freedom of speech.

We have a freedom of speech to put across our view in a mature way - even if that offends anyone.

But we do not have a right to then seek to offend people and slander - that's the right to offend.

In a practical society there is no absolute freedom of anything. Any society needs boundaries, by which it can operate itself in.

ReputationRep:
    If you know that somebody will be offended by something, you probably shouldn't say it unless you have a reason for doing so other than merely exercising your right to free speech.
    However, if you don't know that somebody will be upset by something, and they are, that's their problem (within reason).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jerem)
    Im offended by the letter 'z'. Will you make sure not to use words that contain this letter around me please?
    Hahaha, love it when someone can match my sarcasm!

But eh, I haven't used 'z' anywhere there. Precisely, to respect your freedom.

ReputationRep:
    Depends if I give a **** about the person I have offended or not, whether i did mean to offend them or not- and whether I believe they are truly offended or pretending as such to get some kind of response.

ReputationRep:
    Your freedom ends there, where the freedom of your brother starts.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.