Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am Dutch but I do listen a lot to the BBC. I heard something about stricter immigration laws for the UK. I believe they were also applying to people like me, from Europe.

How do you guys feel about that?

P.s. I'm not really involved in UK Politics so please if I am wrong about this topic, please do tell and ignore this post :3

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had a look at the new laws you mentioned, but immigration is a controversial topic over here. Here's my opinion on the matter:

Immigration laws that are brought in solely for the sake of appeasing the xenophobic masses ideally should be ignored. Whether or not the population likes it the country is becoming a more connected and diverse place. Simply pandering to the popular opinion of the ignorant never leads to success, unfortunately it would be impossible for anyone to get democratically elected without appearing to agree with voters.

On the other hand we have to examine the economic benefits of allowing immigrants into the country. A larger workforce helps the economy by supplying firms with cheaper (therefore more productively efficient) labour, benefitting firms and potentially the rest of the economy. But currently we have a large percentage of unemployed people in the country, so the potential benefits of letting people into the country (like yourself) are minimised. Furthermore, the general population dislike the idea of their wage decreasing or potential employment being taken by those who arrive from abroad, we feel almost entitled to a better standard of living just because of where we are born.

An even greater problem is if you arrive in the country and are unable to find a job, you could find one, but stricter laws discourage those who would be statistically unlikely to find one. Currently immigrants are used as almost scapegoats for the current pressure placed upon the social services by a lack of funding, so politicians tend to enact laws that make it look like they're attempting to tackle the country's problems.

Currently it makes sense to limit the number of migrants to those who benefit the country, but we shouldn't force our xenophobia upon the poor people who want to come to the UK.

TL;DR Agree to laws that make sense, not just ones Joe Public wants.

ReputationRep:
    What about immigration laws that are brought in by people who are worried about the strain it will put on existing services and infrastructure as well as creating even more problems in an already deflated job market.

Lets be honest, these aren't exactly radical immigration laws. These are normal through out the world. If the EU is so tolerant why doesnt it align its outside EU immigration laws with its iinternal migration laws? I.e anybody from outside Europe can just come here.

ReputationRep:
    Immigration is a highly debated topic these days. The laws will be amended form time to time according to the convenience and demand of each nation i guess. Immigration has helped in boosting the economy of many nations says, Canadian Immigration Services.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly we can't restrict access to other EU countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gijs)
    I am Dutch but I do listen a lot to the BBC. I heard something about stricter immigration laws for the UK. I believe they were also applying to people like me, from Europe.

P.s. I'm not really involved in UK Politics so please if I am wrong about this topic, please do tell and ignore this post :3
    I think the only thing that would affect people from the EU is the talk of restricting access to free services like the NHS and being able to claim benefits. As long as the UK is in the EU (which is a bit of an 'if' at the moment), people from EU countries will be able to come here and work.

ReputationRep:
    My nan is dutch so i dont like that she wont be able to get benefits

still we dont need so many people trying to get jobs and that cos we dont have enough jobs so it seems silly to just add more people to the job center Que

thats just what i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesWarspite)
    My nan is dutch so i dont like that she wont be able to get benefits

still we dont need so many people trying to get jobs and that cos we dont have enough jobs so it seems silly to just add more people to the job center Que

thats just what i think
    I don't know the details but I think the plan is that they will be allowed to claim benefits under certain circumstances. If your nan has lived here for many years then she'd probably qualify.

But this is all hypothetical. At this point it's all just discussions. It's possible none of this will happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holotruth org uk)
    I want to see racially adjusted immigration laws, I could not care less if political correctness does not like it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i think you grossly misinterpret the meaning of the words political correctness. what you just described is discrimination by ethnicity which is the definition of the word racism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I think the only thing that would affect people from the EU is the talk of restricting access to free services like the NHS and being able to claim benefits. As long as the UK is in the EU (which is a bit of an 'if' at the moment), people from EU countries will be able to come here and work.
    hm...
    1. immigrants are less likely to claim benefits (if i remember correctly- 6.4% of immigrants having NIN claim benefist, compared to >16% of native Brits)
    2. If they are working, they should have full access to NHS and everything else- after all they are paying taxes.
    And, hopefully this will also apply to work shy Brits- after all why should I, a taxpayer, pay for benefits for people who have never worked?

ReputationRep:
    You're European.. no worries for you until 2015.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon_g)
    hm...
    1. immigrants are less likely to claim benefits (if i remember correctly- 6.4% of immigrants having NIN claim benefist, compared to >16% of native Brits)
    2. If they are working, they should have full access to NHS and everything else- after all they are paying taxes.
    And, hopefully this will also apply to work shy Brits- after all why should I, a taxpayer, pay for benefits for people who have never worked?
    Ultimately they're still taking benefits, that's the issue.
    They mention these statistics to dismiss the claim that Immigrant's soak money up from the system which is clearly not the case with that you've pointed out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gijs)

I think that this thread has demonstrated that there is a great deal of prejudice around this issue, and even more ignorance. The laws restricting immigration from outside the EU are already extremely strict, and while politicians can get support by promising to make them even stricter, that is unlikely to happen.

There is also talk about restricting the right of recent arrivals from the EU to the welfare benefits that the state provides. Again, that is talk rather than anything else: some restrictions have been in place but are difficult and expensive to implement; many other restrictions have been there for decades and will continue into the future; EU law does limit the ability of the UK government to discriminate; above all, welfare benefits in the UK are on the whole far LESS generous than in most other EU countries so it would make sense for most unemployed migrants to return home if they can't find work. Basically, there isn't a problem of EU immigrants taking too much in benefits in reality, but politicians find it convenient to pretend that this problem exists so that they can become popular by appearing to do something about it.

The real problem is the lack of education in the UK, and the inability of most British people to think critically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by momo26396)
    Ultimately they're still taking benefits, that's the issue.
    They mention these statistics to dismiss the claim that Immigrant's soak money up from the system which is clearly not the case with that you've pointed out.
    No, these statistics provide evidence to suggest that on average immigrants give back more to the country in terms of taxes than the average person born in Britain. Quite the opposite of what you're saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donniee)
    No, these statistics provide evidence to suggest that on average immigrants give back more to the country in terms of taxes than the average person born in Britain. Quite the opposite of what you're saying.
    Which, confirms Voyager 2002's claim

I'm glad I spend so much of my time online talking to people from many countries, I'm highly optimistic for the future of humanity and how we treat and respect each other on a global scale (less so on the micro scale if internet *forums* are to be believed :P)

Some younger people seem to have the idea that an immigrant automatically comes from some war-torn part of the world who's culture is so distant from our own there's nothing they could possibly have in common. Seeing them as other people is hard work, yaknow.

We'll get there. Eventually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon_g)
    hm...
    I am sceptical about how big a problem there is with EU immigrants coming here just to claim benefits. I suspect whoever said it was just trying to please anti-immigration voters, rather than having genuine evidence it would save the country a significant amount of money. And I think the proposals I read about did say that after they've worked here for a certain amount of time they would be entitled to them.

The "problem" with restricting benefits and services for people who have never worked is that essentially means getting rid of the welfare state. There might as well just be private health and unemployment insurance. I say "problem" because you might consider that a good thing depending on your political opinions.

I would be wary of such a thing because there are cases where someone needs help but has a genuine reason that they haven't been able to contribute. Of course you would probably make exceptions in various circumstances such as disabilities, but there are bound to be cases that will slip through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donniee)
    Which is based on the assumption that the statistics tells us that they put more into the system than they take out.
    Your argument is flawed, where are the stats that they give more?

ReputationRep:
    Some more information on the topic http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/ma...welfare-magnet

Apologies, I meant to say that on balance, they take less from the country than your average native Britain. (Based upon the statistics simon_g gave)

Research from Oxford Uni suggests that the net fiscal impact of immigrants was "positive but small" based off of the estimates of several organisations. If you exclude the blatantly right wing elements of the study (UKMigrationWatch) you see a net gain upwards of a £Billion each year.

http://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk...immigration-uk

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.