Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are women more likely to cheat? (or are men?) Watch

• View Poll Results: Who is most likely to cheat?
    I'm MALE and think MALES are most likely to cheat.
    10.17%
    I'm MALE and think FEMALES are most likely to cheat.
    8.47%
    I'm MALE and think MALES and FEMALES are equally likely to cheat.
    30.51%
    I'm FEMALE and think MALES are most likely to cheat.
    15.25%
    I'm FEMALE and think FEMALES are most likely to cheat.
    8.47%
    I'm FEMALE and think MALES and FEMALES are equally likely to cheat.
    27.12%

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I voted equally likely. I think it depends more on the individual person than their gender.
    But I'll be interested to see other peoples opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therisenmitten)
    I voted equally likely. I think it depends more on the individual person than their gender.
    But I'll be interested to see other peoples opinions.
    Am particularly interested to see whether people tend to distrust the other sex more... ie. whether men distrust women and women distrust men.

I voted that females are more likely to cheat...

Lived for a while in close proximitiy with both genders. People came a left all the time as they did volunteering for a set period of time.

I met far more girls who cheated on their boyfriends...then went back to them and pretended like it never happened! It was the guys with girlfriends who would actively bring up their other halves names very early on and stay faithful. The guys who knew they wanted to sleep around broke up with their partners before coming out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
    Am particularly interested to see whether people tend to distrust the other sex more... ie. whether men distrust women and women distrust men.
    I've just noticed the title "are women more likely to cheat?" out of curiosity why did you choose women instead of men?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therisenmitten)
    I've just noticed the title "are women more likely to cheat?" out of curiosity why did you choose women instead of men?
    I had to change the title to be more controversial because people weren't responding!

Did include "or men" in the OP for balance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
    I had to change the title to be more controversial because people weren't responding!

Did include "or men" in the OP for balance.
    Fair enough
    For reference I'm bisexual and have never been cheated on by either gender.

I think most people would naturally say that men are most likely to cheat because they are assumed to have the higher sex drive, but I think it's generally easier for women to cheat if they want to.
    For people who want to meet a ONS in a club, guys have to make an effort and approach girls, something they probably wouldn't do of they were in a relationship. But for girls they just have to not resist a guys advances, which might happen if they were drunk.
    Most girls get hit on a lot by guys in clubs whereas guys normally have to make the first move.

I'm not saying women are more likely to cheat, just that there are probably more opportunities there.

ReputationRep:
    The title is a bit sexist tbh. If I was going to vote, I would say that they're both equal. It depends on the individuals really but I don't agree with cheating imo.

ReputationRep:
    Would say women on gut feeling and experiences, but I don't pretend to have any statistics or structured argument to say so.

ReputationRep:
    my answer was : I'm MALE and think FEMALES are most likely to cheat.

reason is , i have had gfz who cheated on me, and i also had a two girls who cheated on someone else with me :P so u decide

ReputationRep:
    Biased thread title. It's a leading question.

I'm a lesbian. I think both are likely to cheat. At a glance I'd say men more due to culture regarding men sleeping around being shunned less than women sleeping around. But it's probably about 50:50. Girls are potentially better (and more inclined) to hide it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a psychology student and I actually learnt about this the other week, Men have something called a 'sexually dismorphic nucleus' in their brain which makes them more promiscuous (more likely to cheat) bit of science there to back up my answer

A.x
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Evolution says men should cheat more than women. So I think men, but I don't think it's actually malicious or anything. Both genders can and do cheat, and it's awful to be the one who's betrayed.

ReputationRep:
    i heard somewhere (anecdotal i know) that its roughly about equal but men are more likely to do it on a spur of the moment whereas women tend to be more conniving about it.

Women apprently are better at hiding it and sneaking around than blokes.

How true - i dont know. I do know that one gf of mine snuck around behind my back for quite awhile before i caught her.

ReputationRep:
    I've no idea which gender actually cheats more, I'd guess roughly the same, but I think women are more likely to get away with cheating,

Total guesswork on my part though.

ReputationRep:
    Really don't know. From my experience in dating scenarios it is about equal. My instinct is that once at the cohabitation/marriage stage men cheat more. But even then I think it would be a closer run thing than one might imagine.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.