Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I wouldn't exactly use the word "envies."
    Clare rules. Decent location, good reputation, good bar/ents, good music, great people Also financially solvent, which is always good.
    Everyone likes Clare and Emma. Maybe its because they have nice, soft feminine names?

In any case I still think everyone envies Trinity (at least until they taste the food! :eek: )

ReputationRep:
    OK, everyone envies Trinity Mayball - now you can't deny that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyNameIsNeo)
    OK, everyone envies Trinity Mayball - now you can't deny that!
    This is true. But I wouldn't know anyone there even if I did go.

ReputationRep:
    What is Clare Ball like?

ReputationRep:
    What is Clare Ball like?
    Apparently smallish (about 900 I think) but very good. Meant to be the romantic one or summat.

Haven't been yet, so I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Last months Girton Spring Ball was surprisingly good.

ReputationRep:
    what are the king's june events like?

ReputationRep:
    well I'm off to Catz. Reasonably small, doesn't get much media attention, close to the Engineering department, and apparently you don't get hassled by tourists quite as much as you do at one of the more well-known/prestigious colleges.

ReputationRep:
    Kings ... I've only been once. Its good. Much more cost effective than something like Trinity Ball!

Kings ... I've only been once. Its good. Much more cost effective than something like Trinity Ball!
    What are you taliing about, kings is ****. They have these stupid events where you actually have to still pay for drinks.
    OK for the non-drinkers out there, but for those of us who have paid for some drunken debauchery...
    J

ReputationRep:
    Drinks included in the price of the ticket this year!

Drinks included in the price of the ticket this year!
    hmmmm. still think it's a risky one. if you wanna go for one of theose cheaper balls i often think its better to go for a january/february ball
    then go to proper may ball too!
    which reminds me...have to get fitted for white tie...
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    hmmmm. still think it's a risky one. if you wanna go for one of theose cheaper balls i often think its better to go for a january/february ball
    then go to proper may ball too!
    which reminds me...have to get fitted for white tie...
    J
    I am a little confused....Jan/Feb balls? I thought balls took place in June? Do colleges have balls whenever they want to?

And are they all white tie?

And do mature colleges such as Wolfson have balls? If they do, are they are crap as one would imagine? Which brings me on to my next question......How much money does Wolfson have? How do I find this out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally Ill)
    I am a little confused....Jan/Feb balls? I thought balls took place in June? Do colleges have balls whenever they want to?

And are they all white tie?
    Nearly all colleges have May balls. However, Selwyn have the "Snow Ball" at the end of Michaelmas term, Churchill had a Spring ball on Feb 13th and Girton had one a bit later. Others may do it but didn't this year.

No, not all balls are white tie. Most are black (ours is). I think Magdalene and Peterhouse are the only ones that are white tie, although I'm not sure about the biggies like Trinity/John's.

Darwin is having a ball this year, don't think Wolfson is, but they may do other years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    don't think Wolfson is
    It seems all they do there is study and row...........

ReputationRep:
    I think Wolfson does something in June but I have no idea what it is like.

As for money, I am not sure Wolfson published their annual accounts on the web. Try searching for "college accounts" on the Cambridge Uni website.

ReputationRep:
    I think Wolfson does something in June but I have no idea what it is like.

As for money, I am not sure Wolfson published their annual accounts on the web. Try searching for "college accounts" on the Cambridge Uni website.
    No I don't think they publish anything. What are the wealth indicators? Low rent? I understand that they have recently had much building work done, and in fact they have spent a couple million on building a new site. What other signs can I look for?

ReputationRep:
    As I recall from a Sunday Times report many years ago, Wolfson ranked fairly low on the league table of assets.

The key wealth indicators are the market value of endowments and other assets owned by the college.

ReputationRep:
    As I recall from a Sunday Times report many years ago, Wolfson ranked fairly low on the league table of assets.

The key wealth indicators are the market value of endowments and other assets owned by the college.
    Oh that's a little bit sad

ReputationRep:

as it is the smallest college, I guess it wouldn't have to be tremendously rich to make sure that students still get the benefits of going to a 'rich' college. Can you estimate it's relative wealth? Market value of endowments and assets is hard info to come by.........

Basically, I am trying to find out if i'd be deprived of any funding etc if I went there......

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.